Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much data does Apple Music use?

I understand that you can download content for offline use. I'm just wondering how much data Apple Music would consume generally speaking? Thanks!

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 4:17 AM

Do any of you know what happens if you play offline content while online? I have a practice and want to play music, but

do not want to have the 4G data charges (there is no wifi). So I want to save the playlist for offline use, but still want to

stay online for other activities. If I play a track in my offline library, will there still be data traffic because I am connected

to 4G? Hope I am making some sense. I guess the only way is to monitor (real time) data usage but if any of you know

what the answer should be, let me know!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2015 4:17 AM in response to ed2345

Do any of you know what happens if you play offline content while online? I have a practice and want to play music, but

do not want to have the 4G data charges (there is no wifi). So I want to save the playlist for offline use, but still want to

stay online for other activities. If I play a track in my offline library, will there still be data traffic because I am connected

to 4G? Hope I am making some sense. I guess the only way is to monitor (real time) data usage but if any of you know

what the answer should be, let me know!

Feb 5, 2017 5:26 AM in response to ed2345

I once proved that it still uses data when you are playing downloaded content: I don't have the family plan, but started playing a downloaded song that was on my phone. At the same time, someone at home was listening to content not downloaded. It turned into a "war" where if I would start my music, the song at home would stop and vice versa. I turn on airplane mode to start playing my music, switched it off later and that seemed to work.

QUESTION:

Related to the thread topic, I'm curious to know the data difference between streaming normal quality, steaming high quality and downloading (all over my data plan). I'm assuming a download will be the equivalent to streaming once at high quality.

How much data does Apple Music use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.