Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External drive library not recognized iTunes 12.2

Just updated to 12.2, & iTunes tried to move my library back to the internal drive on my macbook. I tried in preferences to point iTunes to my old media location, it asks if I want to "keep it organized" - I say yes, & then NOTHING. Still doesn't find the library.

All of my songs are still on the external, but iTunes doesn't see them or my apps.

HELP?

Thanks.

TJB

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 7:24 PM

4 replies

Jun 30, 2015 8:40 PM in response to Thomas Bandla

What do you mean by library? In iTunes language the library is really everything normally in the iTunes folder, in particular the library file .itl. No version of iTunes has used preferences to "point" to existing media. "Pointing" only tells iTunes where to move existing media iTunes knows about and shows in the library, or where to store new media.

If you have a true library on the external drive and want it on the internal drive, drag the iTunes folder to the internal drive and start iTunes while holding down the option/alt key and guide it to that folder.

Jul 5, 2015 2:40 PM in response to Limnos

I have had the same issue with a WIndows machine. I am not going to drag all my music to my internal drive. The whole point of an external drive is to organize and create a separate space for music. I tried "copying" the .itl to my desktop as suggested by Apple support. I then opened it and reset the path to the external drive. Copied it back into the iTunes folder. It still will NOT see all my music. Only see what is on the "C:" drive which is only a half dozen old albums. There must be a solution to this issue without moving all my music back to an internal drive.

External drive library not recognized iTunes 12.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.