Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I not add the music I imported from CDs to my iPhone?

i have just bought two new CDs today. I also got the apple music family plan. I am unable to upload the CDs I have imported on my iTunes to my iPhone 6. I have iOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.1.2. There has to be an easier way than paying $24.99 for iTunes Match. When I try to click and drag to my connected iPhone, my iPhone doesn't become highlighted.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 7:55 PM

8 replies

Jun 30, 2015 8:13 PM in response to Grateful Cheesehead

I just found this thread online that answers why, but it doesn't really answer how. I have almost nothing connected to my iCloud and a lot of my library isn't available on Apple Music, so I'm not quite sure what to do.

If iTunes can't recognize the song, it will upload your copy to iCloud and let you stream that version to your computer and iOS devices. (These songs don't count against your storage; they're included in the price of Apple Music.

Mine did not do this.

When you activate iCML on your computer and your iDevice, you can no longer sync your music to it on iTunes! Instead, it just gets access to your whole library through iCML and you can download whatever songs you want offline over WiFi or cellular.

This is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. Why should I not be able to pay for a streaming service AND have my own personal music collection at the same time?

Jun 30, 2015 8:20 PM in response to roaminggnome

I have tried both originally ways. 1. dragging the album to the device (device does not become highlighted so it does not transfer) and 2. syncing music through my iPhone. The only thing it says about syncing music is my music is available with iTunes Match, which costs $24.99 a year and before Apple music it was the simplest thing to upload music onto your iPhone. Just click and drag. For some reason it is not working for me.

Jun 30, 2015 8:29 PM in response to Grateful Cheesehead

The (annoying) workaround I've found to this problem is on your iPhone, go to the music settings and completely turn off Apple Music AND iCloud Music Library. This reverts the music app to the same general concept it was before. Then you can go on your computer and sync whatever you want to. I'm honestly shocked that Apple of all companies has released something so difficult to use when they have been known for their simplicity and usability. Honestly really disappointed.

Nov 13, 2016 12:40 PM in response to Grateful Cheesehead

I just downloaded the Amazon music app. on my PC which allowed me to upload any of my music ripped from CDs to the Amazon cloud. Then using the Amazon music app on iPhone allowed me to play the songs on my phone. The only downside of this is that I have to play this music on my Amazon app - it won't allow me to play it on the Apple Music app.

I wonder if Spotify allows you to upload your own music?? If it does, I might consider changing to that as it is the same price.

Why can I not add the music I imported from CDs to my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.