Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 and audiobooks

Okay, so apparently in OS X, audiobooks aren't in iTunes anymore ...

But they aren't in iBooks either (where, presumably, they're supposed to have been relocated) ...

AND YET, when I click on my iPhone to sync in iTunes, there they are again -- but to the rest of iTunes they're invisible; there's not even the category anymore.

I see by looking in the Finder that the files still exist, so that's a plus. Just wondering what the intended procedure is for managing audiobooks going forward in iTunes, since I guess you have to have your phone connected in order to see what audiobooks are in the library on your desktop / laptop ...

Doesn't seem intuitive, to say the least ...

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:03 PM

20 replies

Jun 30, 2015 10:31 PM in response to Six_of_one

When you search in iTunes, you don't see them? I only have one audio book & I had to re-import it because when I updated to 12.2, I lost my entire library (music, playlists, settings, apps, podcasts, etc). So when I re-imported the audiobook, It was in the music section. So I hi-lighted all the tracks in the audio book and right clicked and clicked Get Info and changed them from Music to Audiobooks & that did the trick for me. Maybe that'll help you.

Jun 30, 2015 10:42 PM in response to Six_of_one

My category of Audiobooks is still there. They still show in most views, just not by "My Audiobooks">Authors. I'll try to include a screenshot of what mine looks like. If I click the upper-right corner menu (annotation arrow #3), all views show correctly except the "authors". As you can see from the screenshot, it hows the list of authors and the bottom status menu (arrow #4) shows how many items SHOULD appear, but the window is empty.

If I view as "Audiobooks" or "Audiobook List" in arrow #3, then everything appears as it should.

User uploaded file

Jun 30, 2015 10:42 PM in response to Zach Bennett

Great idea!

So I went into the music section and searched for one of my audiobooks (in this case, "The Martian," which is awesome btw and I highly recommend), and the only thing I got was the theme for the 60's show "My Favorite Martian" (which I played over and over again, because that's equally awesome). But alas, no audiobook.

(BTW, my library appears to have survived the update -- it's really a bummer that it wiped yours) ...

I would be fine with things if the audiobooks showed-up in iBooks in OS X like they do in iOS 8.4, but that doesn't appear to be the case. It does seem odd, though, that they still show-up in iTunes synch panel. Hmmmm ...

Thanks for the suggestion, though. It was a great thought =)

Jun 30, 2015 11:25 PM in response to teacher24_70

Nope -- the window is the same as in your screenshot: just authors in the immediate left sidebar, and a blank main widow, even if you select an author. And I can confirm that the status bar at the bottom will show how many books there are by that author, even though nothing shows in the main window.

Oddly (and another issue entirely?) the "Playlists" view similarly shows nothing in the main window, even if you select an author. Although if you select the playlists in the far left sidebar, the associated titles will show up in the main window. Odd.

The glories of updates ;-)

Jul 3, 2015 9:56 PM in response to Six_of_one

Same with me.... all of a sudden BY AUTHOR is empty. It SHOWS the total time and such as if it knows they are there but you can not see them. And if you just select all audiobooks you see them all. But by author, nothing. So every QA person at Apple and all their contractors, No saw this? Or cared? Seriously? Why does this not surprise me. So yes. The latest iTunes f's up Audiobooks. You can see them all. but you can not se the author. I don't care why, it's a complete and usual screw up by Apple.

Jul 4, 2015 6:49 PM in response to Six_of_one

Fortunately I had iTunes 12.1 and the iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Library.xml in a backup and was able to replace these versions for the 12.2. I have everything working fine. I am really disappointed in the Apple testing. I was software test director on a large Department of Army program and iTunes 12.2 would never have passed our test plan ! ! ! ! !

Jul 4, 2015 10:33 PM in response to famnva

Test plan? LoL!!! Why would anyone add audiobooks not bought from iBooks or iTunes? (sic) Arrogance and incompetence. I am a Sr. Software Architect with 35+ years experience developing software. But this is plain incompetence since Audiobooks is a main toolbar item and only has three sub-menus. List, Author, and Audiobooks.

It speaks to the true shortage of experienced people in the industry. The market is so stretched to find decent people, that everyone winds up lowering their standards and hiring 'bodies'.

Jul 7, 2015 11:20 AM in response to eJeff

So I have a few audiobooks ripped from CD. In the past I would go to "Type" from Get Info and change it from Music to Audiobook. Now that is no longer an option, I have a dropdown menu I can use to change "Music" to ... Music. There is only one option in the dropdown menu! How can I change a ripped MP3 (or AAC I assume) track to an Audiobook type so it goes to the right place?

iTunes 12.2 and audiobooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.