Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to iTunes Match now that there is Apple Music

iPad, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 9:17 PM

Nothing. It remains as is for those who are not interested in the much more expensive paid version of Apple Music. For those that do decide to pay $10 per month, it will no longer be necessary to also keep iTunes Match.

11 replies

Jul 2, 2015 10:38 PM in response to Theodor the Conqueror

Nothing happens per say if you have ITunes Match and want to use Apple Music but something will happen if you cancel

iTunes Match to strictly use the new Apple Music and later find yourself cancelling Apple Music. Result will be No Songs

in your music library other than those purchases from iTunes. To store music in the cloud, you must maintain one of these

Two services. If you love streaming any track you choose, Apple Music is it. Let's say you don't have much music of your

own, this enhances the reasons to subscribe to Apple Music by itself. Using me as an example, whatever I choose to

do with Apple Music is Gravy as I have thousands of dollars invested in my music library, both iTunes related but mostly CD's

uploaded to iTunes Match. There's no way I'm stopping my subscription to iTunes Match when the new Apple Music is

intended to be a "Music Rental Platform". Elaborating to answer your question, the two services will never merge. It's just the

terminology confusing people. And Match won't be converted into iCloud Music library as that's just terminology used in

the new iOS 8.4. In Apples words, "Apple Music and iTunes Match are in dependant but complimentary.". Look at it this way,

Music isn't really a cloud service despite the iCloud Music library settings option. Since you can access 30million songs,

everythjng music wise is already up there. The Apple service that is intended to store your personal music library that

you created over the years is "iTunes Match". If ever you cancel the $9.99 Apple Music, guess what happens? You have no

Music library except songs purchased from Apple. And why would you be able to keep song's from Apple Music when your

paying to listen to them. It's a rental contract, not a purchase contract. iTunes Match stores all your songs and that's the

purpose of that subscription.

Jul 2, 2015 11:00 PM in response to Storyboy

Apple will definetely continue to offer iTunes Match as it's an independent service. Many are getting confused on

this when they hear the part of Apple Music storing your music in the cloud. It's really a Rental Streaming service,

not a storage type service. Naturally your songs will be available using Apple Music as virtually every songs exists

in Apple Music, 30 million they say. But it doesn't mean your uploaded CD's and such are actually uploaded into that

cloud. There are just matched since the songs are in the store anyways. Cancelling Apple Music without being a

iTunes Match subscriber means you would end up with only music purchased from Apple.

Nov 5, 2015 5:46 PM in response to Fiberluver

It seems the mechanics of it change quickly and no one I've spoken to at Apple really knows. The worst is even though the support articles on this site are updated often, most of the information about music is either outdated or just inaccurate. There is the constant note that with iTunes Match, all your music is in your iCloud music library. I have been unable to find any music at all on my iCloud and according to the last senior Apple tech I spoke to, it's more of a theoretical music library. Yes, he said, it's there but not visible. In other words, as I have seen it work, iTunes Match works as before but it's just not apparent visually. I rip songs of my CDs and the songs all appear in iTunes and are available on my iPhone in a very short time. When I had to set up a new iPhone this year, all my music and most of my photos were available on my iPhone without me doing anything. The one thing I see different is the way I used to see iTunes Match updating my music library is different. No longer is there a message at the top or iTunes showing this is happening or the progress bar that used to appear. I do believe you need to have genius enabled to have iTunes Match work. I also note that when I close iTunes, there is a message across the desktop for a couple moments after saying my music is being updated. It's like a lot of other things at Apple, it's there, even if you can't see it happening.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.