Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 song ratings missing

So I installed iTunes 12.2 on a Windows machine and a Mac and there's a big difference. In the Windows version, I can only "heart" songs. The 5 star rating system is gone. I checked the Mac version and the 5 star version is present and working.

Is it only me or did Apple actually mess things up with the Windows release?

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 9:59 PM

21 replies

Jul 1, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Shled

I am also having this issue. I am also seeing grayed out stars that I have no idea what they mean or how to get rid of them. I used to be able to right click and add/remove a star rating. That is no longer there. The black stars are ones that I have added. The grayed out stars are new and they show up on A LOT of my music and is messing up my smart playlists. . See screenshot.

User uploaded file.

Jul 1, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Stuke00

Those grey stars are known as auto-ratings. I have some Windows scripts that can hide or restore them:

I see ratings in the songs view if I enable the columns, and the right-click context menu gives me an option to edit the rating.

At this point in time I have a subscription to Apple Music, but I have not enabled iCloud Music Library for my main library, although I have a small test one to see how it behaves.

tt2

Jul 1, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Stuke00

This problem seems to stem from auto rated album ratings. If you enable the "album ratings" column and then remove all of the album ratings (by manually sliding right to left to get to 0 stars), your playlists should go back to only showing starred songs.

This process could be a ridiculously tedious one if you've got a large library.

iTunes 12.2 song ratings missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.