Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Singtel + Airport time capsule + Dlink dir-600 router

Hi,

I am in Singapore and have Singtel fibre 200 Mbps fibre broadband connection. As such, i have a PACE router by default from Singtel. I have linked my Airport Extreme Time capsule in Bridge mode to the Pace router. I want to add an old n router to this setup to extend my wifi signal in my bedroom where this is no to little wifi signel. I have also installed cat 6 cable from my existing setup till my room.

The questions i have are as follows:

1. How do i connect the d-link router to extend my wifi? Should i plug it in lan port of PACE router or Airport extreme?

2. Currently, the d-link defaults to 192.168.0.1 Do i need to change its IP to make it work?

3. Should i make d-link as base or Apple airport as base? I feel Apple airport should be the base but want to check with the experts here.

I tried putting both routers in different lan ports of PACE. I created the same ssid for d-link as one set up by Apple airport. Will they overlap each other? Will there be any difference in speeds? I did a speedtest on both the networks and there is a huge difference in the speeds. While Apple airport gives me speeds of 140+ Mbps; the d-link gives me around 45 Mbps.

Have i done it correctly? How to access my d-link as currently am unable to access it. (after i configured it as an AP in its settings)

Please help.

Regards

Rajiv

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 9:44 PM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2015 1:23 AM in response to jimmiejaz

what is the home IP of the pace router? And what is its default DHCP server range of addresses (pool is the correct term).

1. It doesn't really matter if you use the airport or the pace.. whichever is more convenient.

2. You do need to change the IP of the dlink if you want to be able to connect to other items on the LAN, that connect to the airport.

3. This one I don't understand the question.

Should i make d-link as base or Apple airport as base? I feel Apple airport should be the base but want to check with the experts here.

Not sure what you mean by base.. if the pace is a router.. it must be if it has multiple ethernet ports on it.. then neither airport or dlink is used as router. Is that what you mean by base.. Apple called the airport a base station.. (Its a small moon... no.. its a base station.. Star Wars IV).. I have no idea why.. it means router I guess.. but Apple being Apple they can never stick to the terminology everyone else has.

What model is the Time Capsule? Look on the base (sic) of the base station ie the rubber mat underneath for the model number.. unless it is the new tall one. Give me the A1xxx number.

The later models all have fast 5ghz connections.. so you should link at 450mbps on a decent post 2011 laptop.. and that will give you actual transfer speeds of 140+Mbps.. but range is poor hence your room is not getting it.

The DIR-600N is single band 2.4ghz and will be slow.. your apartment block in Singapore (if you live like 90%) of people there.. then you probably have 30 different routers in broadcast distance and so a speed of 45Mbps is what N at 2.4ghz will give you..

What you really need is to buy another apple router.. a second hand gen4 or gen5 Extreme if you want something cheap or a new Express.. as it will work well with the TC.

The actual setup of a dlink (since it is old model without much options unless you flashed it over to dd-wrt).. is called wan bypass.

Give it an IP outside the range of the main router.. eg main router is 192.168.0.1 with dhcp range of 2-220.

Make the Dlink 192.168.0.222 and turn off its dhcp server.

Then plug dlink LAN port not WAN .. into the TC or PACE lan port.

You should write the IP on the dlink so you will not forget it.

Jul 1, 2015 3:25 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi LaPastenague,

Thanks a lot for your swift response.

Pace router address: 192.168.1.254 default dhcp server range is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253. I changed it to 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.253

Regarding question 1, if i connect d-link to lan port of airport extreme, i get lan only with no internet connection. If i connect it to Pace router directly only then i get internet.

3) By base i meant the main router. As i have disabled the wireless capability of Pace router with only dhcp enabled; i am using airport extreme to create a network in bridge mode.

Time capsule is 2 TB tower (ac) router (latest model)

Jul 1, 2015 4:43 AM in response to jimmiejaz

Regarding question 1, if i connect d-link to lan port of airport extreme, i get lan only with no internet connection. If i connect it to Pace router directly only then i get internet.

You are connecting it in the wrong mode to to the wrong port.

The Dlink must be plugged LAN to LAN.. and it must be set to LAN IP of the same range as the PACE router..

So set the Dlink to 192.168.1.50 on the LAN side.. completely ignore the WAN side.. you are not going to use it.

Turn off dhcp server on the LAN setup.

It will make no difference if you are plugged into the PACE or the TC..

Open a terminal and ping the IP of the airport or the pace and they both should respond.. if not you have the wrong setup still.

Jul 2, 2015 12:13 AM in response to jimmiejaz

I will try this today and come back with any further questions. Thanks for the help. Does it make any difference if i connect LAN to WAN instead of LAN to LAN?

It is called WAN bypass because you do NOT want dlink to route.. as soon as you plug into the WAN port it routes.. so LAN to LAN.. must be.. won't work the other way.. unless you have it flashed over to dd-wrt and can put it in WAP mode..

Jul 9, 2015 3:17 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi Lapastenague,

Thanks for your replies. I tried the above set up and it worked fine but the connection was intermittent. So, i called up customer care and they gladly replaced the router + modem with a new aztech wireless + modem AC router. Now, i am faced with a different challenge. Earlier, my time capsule was the only AC router available and i used it in bridge mode. Now, i want to use the AC router which is given from the ISP and want to connect my TC to it with lan cable so that i can 'extend' wifi network and use it in my bedroom. Not sure if it is even possible using an airport extreme time capsule though (as mentioned in some threads) so wanted to check with the experts here 🙂

Looking forward for your reply.

Kind Regards

Rajiv

Jul 9, 2015 3:52 AM in response to jimmiejaz

Now, i want to use the AC router which is given from the ISP and want to connect my TC to it with lan cable so that i can 'extend' wifi network

Ok.. this is a fairly straight forward setup.. it is called roaming.

See

Roaming network.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4260

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6490890

The apple documentation is well out of date.. but the principle is the same.

It isn't hard.. make sure the TC is setup in bridge mode..

Plug from LAN Aztech to LAN TC.. (or WAN .. in bridge mode the TC moves WAN port to LAN).

Create a wireless network of the same name and same security as the Aztech is set to..

The Mac or whatever device will simply pick the best signal and connect to that.

Bob Timmons .. you will see lots of his posts around here.. has shown that the airport utility can do this setup automatically.. If you simply configure it right before you start.. I guess I just haven't been that lucky or my airports are older.. anyway there is nothing wrong with trying it.

network roaming eth

The basics are extremely simple..

TC in bridge..

Aztech and TC connected by ethernet.

TC creates a wireless network..

Wireless Name = SSID

WPA2 Personal = WPA2 TKIP AES

Password = Password.

Leave the auto wireless channels to work out the best to use.. (unless you run into trouble).

Singtel + Airport time capsule + Dlink dir-600 router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.