Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro virus

My MacBook has a virus. I installed Avast to help with this and all it's really done is help find it so i can delete it but every time I use safari I get a popup from avast saying it blocked an infection.I just want to get rid of the virus for good.I have tried to follow the path that the notification from avast gives me but I don't really know what to delete or get ride of exactly. The notifications usually point to my extensions and frameworks in the Library.

<Links Edited by Host>

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 8:07 PM

10 replies

Jun 30, 2015 8:11 PM in response to nfl300

You don't have a virus. Software like Avast is useless as there are no viruses affecting OS X (and AV software is not reliable defense against malware).

You've likely installed some form of adware which is causing the issue. Download and run a scan with AdwareMedic: http://adwaremedic.com/index.php.

The best way to remove adware is often the subject of heated debates on these forums. If you feel comfortable running a program, prefer a quicker solution, and don’t want to risk incompletely or incorrectly removing the adware manually, then you should run AdwareMedic as I suggested. If you would rather remove the adware manually because you don’t want to run any programs to solve the problem, then follow Apple’s instructions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987. Note that this document does not cover all types of adware. If those instructions do not solve the problem, see http://thesafemac.com/arg (from the same author as AdwareMedic).

You will probably hear others’ opinions about whether you should run a program or remove the adware manually. AdwareMedic gets my vote, but don’t let that, or anyone else’s opinions sway you one way or the other.

Jun 30, 2015 8:16 PM in response to nfl300

A

There is no need to download anything to solve this problem.

You may have installed one or more of the common types of ad-injection malware. Follow the instructions on this Apple Support page to remove it. It's been reported that some variants of the "VSearch" malware block access to the page. If that happens, start in safe mode by holding down the shift key at the startup chime, then try again.

Back up all data before making any changes.

One of the steps in the article is to remove malicious Safari extensions. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those. If Safari crashes on launch, skip that step and come back to it after you've done everything else.

If you don't find any of the files or extensions listed, or if removing them doesn't stop the ad injection, ask for further instructions.

Make sure you don't repeat the mistake that led you to install the malware. Chances are you got it from an Internet cesspit such as "Softonic," "CNET Download," or "SourceForge." Never visit any of those sites again. You might also have downloaded it from an ad in a page on some other site. The ad would probably have included a large green button labeled "Download" or "Download Now" in white letters. The button is designed to confuse people who intend to download something else on the same page. If you ever download a file that isn't obviously what you expected, delete it immediately.

Malware is also found on websites that traffic in pirated content such as video. If you, or anyone else who uses the computer, visit such sites and follow prompts to install software, you can expect more of the same, and worse, to follow. Never install any software that you downloaded from a bittorrent, or that was downloaded by someone else from an unknown source.

In the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences, select the General tab. The radio button marked Anywhere should not be selected. If it is, click the lock icon to unlock the settings, then select one of the other buttons. After that, don't ignore a warning that you are about to run or install an application from an unknown developer.

Still in System Preferences, open the App Store or Software Update pane and check the box marked

Install system data files and security updates (OS X 10.10 or later)

or

Download updates automatically (OS X 10.9 or earlier)

if it's not already checked.

B

"Avast" is the worst of the whole wretched lot of commercial "security" products for the Mac. Not only does it fail to protect you from any real danger, it may send personal data (such as web browsing history and the contents of email messages) back to the developer without your knowledge, give false warnings, destabilize and slow down the computer, expose you to network attack, and corrupt the network settings and the permissions of files in your home folder. Removing it may not repair all the damage.

Some versions of the product also inject advertising into web pages. In short, apart from the fine print in the license agreement, Avast is indistinguishable from malware, and is arguably worse than any known malware now in circulation.

Back up all data, then remove Avast according to the developer's instructions. Restart.

If you tried to remove Avast by dragging an application to the Trash, you'll have to reinstall it and then follow the instructions linked above.

Jul 1, 2015 4:04 AM in response to nfl300

I would suggest that you DO download AdwareMedic. It is a very quick download and when opened will run very quickly. Suggesting that a download is more complicated or will take longer than following the multistep procedure advocated by Linc Davis should be viewed as an erroneous inference.

Unlike Linc Davis' narrowly focused suggestion (The already referenced link to the Apple support article), AdwareMedic is designed to identify numerous possible problem makers. Therefore it will be easier to use and the chances for a successful resolution are much improved. In addition, the complicated procedures advocated by Linc Davis, by comparison, invites the possibility of unnecessary errors and mistakes.

So keep it fast and simple, use AdwareMedic. If there is no success, then by all means try the cumbersome procedure posted by Linc Davis. But the chances are that you will not need to.

Also be advised that Adwaremedic has been recommended by many Apple genius bar technicians and is used by them instead of the complex support article procedures. Also Adwaremedic has also be recommended by Apple telephone support personnel and had received a RECOMMENDED by Apple on these forums.

This post is not under copyright and can be used in part or whole without attribution.

Ciao.

Jul 1, 2015 7:30 AM in response to nfl300

You should do your own research to determine the safety and effectiveness of any unknown software, rather than taking anyone’s word for it. I’m not referring to any software in particular, but to all. Trusting software without a good reason is the mistake that caused the problem in the first place.

Think very carefully about listening to anyone who tells you to ignore the published instructions of Apple Support, in regard to anything.

Apple as a company does not endorse any third-party software. If an Apple employee were to recommend software, that would be his or her personal opinion, not Apple's opinion, and not necessarily correct.

No software is going to save you from the consequences of unsafe online behavior, which could be much worse than just seeing ads in a web browser. Caution is the only reliable defense against malware attack.

Jul 1, 2015 7:40 AM in response to nfl300

Think very carefully about anyone who tells you to treat Apple's support articles as if they were the gospel. It so happens that Apple does not update their article on adware often enough. For example, the recent variant of "Genieo" known as "InKeepr" is not listed. Another article, which although it does not relate to this problem, shows that Apple's articles are not always the best, is their article on how to download older versions of apps. They assume that you already own the app, whereas other instructions you'll find will tell you how to get an older version regardless. In general, Apple's support articles offer solid solutions, but be wary of the claim that they are the only solution. Also note that no one told you to ignore the instructions, as has been erroneously claimed in this thread.

Jul 1, 2015 8:09 AM in response to nfl300

Linc Davis says:

"You should do your own research to determine the safety and effectiveness of any unknown software, rather than taking anyone’s word for it. I’m not referring to any software in particular, but to all. Trusting software without a good reason is the mistake that caused the problem in the first place."

Adwaremedic is quite well known. If you do an Internet search you will find a number of sites giving it very good reviews.

Linc Davis says:

"Think very carefully about listening to anyone who tells you to ignore the published instructions of Apple Support, in regard to anything."

This is a misstatement on his part. No one is suggesting that you ignore the Apple alternative, rather that Adwaremedic is a superior and easier tool to use. On the contrary, if Adwaremedic fails to solve the problem, then do use the Apple alternative.

Linc Davis says:

"Apple as a company does not endorse any third-party software. If an Apple employee were to recommend software, that would be his or her personal opinion, not Apple's opinion, and not necessarily correct."

What he does not say is that Apple does not discourage the use of third party software either. It also does not mean that a recommendation by Apple employees is wrong either. If you take into consideration that Apple employees are expert in their field and recommend Adwaremedic, it would be done on the basis of their knowledge and use of that software.

Here are a sample of links to users who have used Adwaremedic with success:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6531502

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6640492

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6740074

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6850506

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7067735?start=15&tstart=0

This link shows that Adwaremedic received a RECOMMENDED by an Apple employee:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7007203

Do not be mislead by vague statements with incomplete facts and information mislead you from using third party software that is in your best interest. If you ***** the entire situation with ALL the facts that have been presented, you will see that stevejobsfan0123 has given you the best advice.

Ciao.

Jul 1, 2015 9:22 AM in response to nfl300

You are being coerced into believing that two opposing statements are true at the same time. You were told that if an Apple employee recommends a program, that is their personal opinion and does not represent Apple as a whole. You were then told that if an Apple employee recommends a manual procedure, then that is the absolute truth and Apple as a company endorses it. If you do not see the fallacies in that logic, then by all means, do what he wants you to do. I wish you luck. You'll need it.

Jul 1, 2015 7:01 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

You do not need any third-party software to remove adware. Apple does not recommend any third-party software to remove adware. Let nothing and no one persuade you otherwise.

If anyone is uncertain what to do at this point, discuss it with an Apple support tech. They will steer you in the right direction, whether that is Apple's adware removal document, my own AdwareMedic app or something else entirely. Apple techs are seeing a lot of problems like these right now, and know how to handle them. They should be considered the authorities in the case of conflicting advice from strangers on a forum like this one.

Jul 2, 2015 3:06 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

The bottom line is this:

You do not need any third-party software to remove adware. Apple does not recommend any third-party software to remove adware.

This may be your bottom line, but you neglect to state that Apple does not have any policy prohibiting the use of third party software. You also assume that Apples approach to solving a problem is going to be the best approach or only valid method for problem solving. Adwaremedic has a proven track record of being faster, more efficient, more effective and easier to use that the Apple support procedures. Should you have any doubts, read the links that I have provided.

Let nothing and no one persuade you otherwise.

You keep making this inaccurate statement suggesting that others are advocating not to use Apple support article procedures. A careful reading on your part will show that the Apple procedures are recommended as a secondary alternative. That is a significant difference.

Ciao.

Macbook pro virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.