Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased music and Apple Music?

In iTunes, how do you tell the difference between music you have purchased and music added to your library from Apple Music?

If you keep adding music from Apple Music to your library, there is no way of telling what you have purchased from what is streamed.

Am I missing something?

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 3:30 AM

You can give star ratings to music downloaded from Apple Music, it works on all tracks.

You can see the difference if you use Get Info on a track and go to the File Info tab.

Purchased tracks have "Purchased" in the iCloud Status field and Apple Music tracks have "Apple Music"

Also if you switch to 'Songs' view (upper right of screen), you can then right click on the columns shown and turn on the iCould status column, which then shows you the detail of each track like this:

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 3:30 AM in response to garymansell

You can give star ratings to music downloaded from Apple Music, it works on all tracks.

You can see the difference if you use Get Info on a track and go to the File Info tab.

Purchased tracks have "Purchased" in the iCloud Status field and Apple Music tracks have "Apple Music"

Also if you switch to 'Songs' view (upper right of screen), you can then right click on the columns shown and turn on the iCould status column, which then shows you the detail of each track like this:

User uploaded file

Jul 1, 2015 3:39 AM in response to Ian Parkinson

Yeah - you are right about the ratings, once you hover near the favourite symbol on apple music items, the stars wake up for rating - my bad.

OK, so I see the iCloud status column, but what confuses me now, is that all my albums that I had in my itunes library (but had not bought through iTunes) are now showing as apple music - I presume that these will not be disappearing if I allow the free trial to end?

Am I right in thinking, that it has analysed my library on my Mac and matched them with albums in the apple music library rather than uploading them?

Jul 1, 2015 4:11 AM in response to garymansell

Thanks for the responses.

It would be helpful if 'Apple Music' added and icon to each album added to the library so it is easily identifiable - I like to keep a track on whats purchased and whats streaming. Having to switch to 'song view' to check whats what is a pain.

I think the albums that were in your library but were not purchased, and now show as Apple Music, have been uploaded to iCloud - like iTunes Match.

Purchased music and Apple Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.