Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

8.4 iBooks update is terrible.

I have worked really hard on making categories for my PDFs and now they're all on the one PDF page and in the category too. If I delete one from the PDF page, it is deleted from the category too! I use the main PDF page for my unread ones. I can't tell if I've already read one or not, it is such a mess. Please fix this, I can't stand them all being on the one page. Otherwise, what's the point of being able to make categories?

iPad, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 11:35 PM

We are fellow users here on these forums, if you want to leave feedback for Apple : http://www.apple.com/feedback/ibooks_ios.html

As far as I can see the PDF category is now a way of viewing all PDFs in one place, it doesn't contain a separate copy of them.

22 replies

Jul 1, 2015 6:19 AM in response to wishesfordreams

I do have PDFs, and the PDFs collection seems to be a way to view all of your PDFs in one view in the app, instead of having to go through each collection. Until if/when it changes you could create a new collection to put your unread PDFs in, you should be able to use the Edit button at the top of the collection list to move it (after tapping Edit your collections should get an icon to their right allowing you to drag them into a different order) so that it's the first collection after PDFs.

Jul 1, 2015 10:55 AM in response to King_Penguin

Creating a new collection would work, if the PDFs didn't automatically go to the PDF page and open; removing the 'new' check mark from them. Do you know of a way I could make them not do that? It would make things easier just knowing which ones I have not read. I download many at a time so that I may read them if I do not have internet access.

Jul 1, 2015 9:46 PM in response to King_Penguin

I use iBooks for almost 1000 PDFs. From tome to time 10 or 100 of them have to be replaced by updated ones. I learned that it was easier to delete all of them on my iPad and copy the whole and updated collection via iTunes again, so i don't have to delete up to 100 different PDFs seperately, either on iTunes or iOS, because only the new ones will appear in the PDFs-Section in iBooks.

Since iOS 8.4 all PDFs are in the PDFs-Section and I can impossibly find out, which ones are new and already in the correct collection, without going crazy or losing a lot of time.

What do you recommend?

Jul 3, 2015 1:19 PM in response to DyaNaSore

Same problem with the new "feature" here ..... if I wanted to get a full listing I'd have gone into "All"..

If it's going to stay like this , a work around would be a toggle that checks if the PDF is in an existing collection and displays it, or not as the case may be - otherwise as someone mentioned higher up, iBooks has unfortunately become pretty much useless for management of PDF documents / adding new PDFs and quickly categorising them into a collection

Jul 4, 2015 1:43 PM in response to DyaNaSore

I have over 38 collections which contain a mixture of epub and PDFs, so my books are arranged by subject or fiction genre regardless of the format the book is in. I could live with the system PDF collection that contains all the PDFs, especially if, like Books in iCloud the option is there to actually hide that folder. (I have sent in a feature request for that workaround via the feedback form).

But what makes iBooks on iPad a mess since the recent upgrade, is that I have spent time today reorganising my bookshelves within each collection to how they were before the new version of iBooks - only to find that my manual order does not remain in place and the collections become a jumble of epub mixed with PDFs in no order that I've been able to determine. This makes it impossible to easily scan collections and find relevant books - even series of books are now broken up and interrupted by PDF files.

I have tried organising the main PDF folder to see if that can affect the order of the same file within a collection, but although the order is altered within the collection, again I cannot understand those changes. Having the collections in author or title order is not an option as many of my PDFs lack the metadata to be used. These system bookshelf arrangements lack the ability to keep an author's series together and sequential, and a multi-author series is just dispersed across a collection. Previously the manual bookshelf sort was one that proved to be the best and infinitely flexible so different collections could all be organised differently to suit my needs, but that has been broken by this recent update.

If anyone has found a method of being able to impose a manual order that, like in iBooks on the Mac, will stay in place, please let me know.

S

Jul 5, 2015 8:30 AM in response to wishesfordreams

I too am very concerned with the unruly behavior of iBooks in iOS 8.4. I have a 128 GB iPad, and have hundreds of PDF files from Scribd and issuu and other services, and I generally organize them into their own folders, by title, author, or subjects. Up until now, moving a file meant "moving" - it would not show up in the PDF folder. Now, everything I move stays in the new folder AND the PDF folder, making it difficult to figure out what has and hasn't been filed away. PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

Jul 5, 2015 9:52 AM in response to Ronald Evry

When I first upgraded to the new version I saw that all my PDFs had to resync to my iPad (which had to be done in several goes, as they did not all copy over in one session). This was despite the fact that everything in iBooks had already been copied over to my iPad via iTunes, as I have too many books/PDFs to be selective.

What I have found is that despite those PDFs already being in Collections from the previous version of iBooks, if I - on the iPad - move them from the PDF folder to the right collection, then when I organise my bookshelf in that collection the shelf order appears to stay as I've sorted it. Obviously I have to monitor this for a while longer to see if my observation remains true, but if so, then this does solve part of the problem that I raised in my previous post.

The downside is that it is a long, tedious task to identify which PDFs in the PDF folder need to be moved where, especially as those newly moved PDFs still stay visible in the PDF folder and the collection already had those documents included from the last iBooks version. I am therefore systematically paging through all my iBook collections on my MBP, identifying which are PDFs, location them in the PDF folder on iPad and then moving them to the correct folder. My experience so far is when I arrange this newly gathered collection, then that bookshelf order has remained intact.

It is a long winded work around to solve this problem, but if it works then I will soon be able to ignore the PDF folder as before and just concentrate on my own collections. Any new PDFs added directly to iBooks on iPad will appear at the top of the screen and I can easily move them into folders. But I wish I hadn't got to go through this exercise.

8.4 iBooks update is terrible.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.