Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 Windows Vista 64Bit

how can i get the new iTunes update on my PC with Windows Vista 64bit

the download that works for Vista is only for 32bit so it wont allow me to install

the download for 64bit is only for Windows 7 so it wont allow me to install either

how do i fix this? really need this update for Apple Music and to sync my devices

iPhone 6, Windows Vista

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:49 PM

13 replies

Jul 2, 2015 10:32 AM in response to hhgttg27

Youre probable right, but i see the following on the update screen (in dutch bit i think you will understand)

Tunes 12.2 voor Windows XP, Vista of Windows 7

Systeemvereisten voor Windows

• Pc met een 1-GHz Intel- of AMD-processor en 512 MB RAM
  • Windows XP Service Pack 3 of hoger, een 32-bits-versie van Windows Vista, Windows 7 of Windows 8
  • Voor een 64-bits-versie van Windows Vista, Windows 7 of Windows 8 is het 64-bits-installatieprogramma van iTunes vereist
  • 400 MB vrije schijfruimte
  • Een breedbandinternetverbinding voor het gebruik van de iTunes Store

And yes i can't update! Trying to update within itunes: nothing happens.

Trying to use a separete download it says something like Windows 7 is minimium is needed!

I'm using Vista 32 bits

Jul 2, 2015 10:57 AM in response to petervdlouw

It seems that Apple have done a really, really bad job at updating their webpages to reflect the changes in 12.2:

• the info on the US servers wasn't updated for several hours after the 12.2 installers were published
  • the same servers have changed several times since 6/30 - there still doesn't seem to be a definitive statement of what we now understand, i.e., that 12.2 requires Windows 7 or later, 32- or 64-bit (some people have interpreted it is saying that there is only a 64-bit version, which is not the case)
  • servers in other countries/locations have taken even longer to update - I know that the UK one was still referencing XP and Vista late yesterday, nearly 24 hours after the US servers were updated

This from a company that's renowned for its marketing skills and its global presence 😮.

If anyone from Apple is reading this, please go and bang some heads together so that this can be fixed. If the assumption that iTunes 12.2 requires Windows 7 or later, 32- or 64-bit, is correct, then every site worldwide that people are downloading from should say exactly that. If XP and Vista are not supported, the web pages should say that too, just to avoid confusion. Many consumers just won't understand if the common URL takes them to one installer when they are on 7 or 8, and a different one (12.1.1) if on XP or Vista - especially when many will be seeking 12.2 in order to subscribe to Apple Music

It would also be helpful to know whether there's any implication in stating "Windows 7 or later" rather than "Windows 7, 8 or 8.1" - the former could lead people to expect that the 12.2.0.145 release will work with Windows 10 when its released on July 29. If not, then I suspect that many people would prefer to ignore this release and wait for one that is Win10 compatible and resolves at least some of the obvious bugs in 12.2.0.149.

Jul 2, 2015 12:38 PM in response to hhgttg27

hhgttg27 wrote:

If anyone from Apple is reading this, please go and bang some heads together so that this can be fixed. If the assumption that iTunes 12.2 requires Windows 7 or later, 32- or 64-bit, is correct, then every site worldwide that people are downloading from should say exactly that. If XP and Vista are not supported, the web pages should say that too, just to avoid confusion. Many consumers just won't understand if the common URL takes them to one installer when they are on 7 or 8, and a different one (12.1.1) if on XP or Vista - especially when many will be seeking 12.2 in order to subscribe to Apple Music

It would also be helpful to know whether there's any implication in stating "Windows 7 or later" rather than "Windows 7, 8 or 8.1" - the former could lead people to expect that the 12.2.0.145 release will work with Windows 10 when its released on July 29. If not, then I suspect that many people would prefer to ignore this release and wait for one that is Win10 compatible and resolves at least some of the obvious bugs in 12.2.0.149.

I have dropped a line to the hosts here who should pass it up the chain.

tt2

Jul 8, 2015 3:15 PM in response to twestervelt

It won't. Windows Vista (and XP) are not supported by iTunes 12.2. I would be astonished if Apple were to reverse that decision - it is entirely possible that Apple Music (the key added feature in 12.2) depends on services not available in XP and Vista. Why would Apple expend development hours on supporting an OS that represents a tiny and diminishing proportion of the Windows user base, has been out of mainstream support since April 2012 and will have all support withdrawn in less than two years' time?

Jul 8, 2015 3:36 PM in response to hhgttg27

Well, if they aren't going to support it, it would be nice (and professional) of them to post a public statement saying so, along with the reasons why. They should also make the latest install that is compatible with Vista 64-bit available to the public. The reason why they should make it available is that I am experiencing issues with iTunes and Apple Support told me to remove iTunes from my PC and reinstall it on 7/6/15 (only two days ago!). This was in spite of me telling the support person that their latest install was not compatible with my OS. He said he talked to technical support and that was "just a glitch" that would resolve itself once I removed iTunes....then the new install would work. I quickly ended the non-productive call and did NOT follow their instructions. I will have to call back again at some point in the future and ask for the latest compatible install. Unsure what else to do besides upgrade my OS and that is not on the table for a while.

Jul 8, 2015 3:49 PM in response to twestervelt

I agree with you entirely - the whole 12.2 rollout has been a disaster from start to finish. The failure to provide easily accessible links to 12.1.2 for Vista/XP users is ridiculous - even worse that users of 12.1.2 and earlier versions on legacy OSs are getting automated alerts to download and install a new version that is not compatible with their systems. You're also right that Apple should provide Vista/XP users with the rationale for dropping these OSs - simply removing them from the list of supported operating systems (and not even doing that on many of its websites) is unacceptable.

I suspect that it is only because technology journalists have a tendency to worship at the Church of the Blessed Steve Jobs that this has not been prominently covered in the media. If Microsoft makes 10% as much of a mess of the Windows 10 launch I'm sure the press would be full of highly critical articles.

Jul 9, 2015 9:46 AM in response to twestervelt

twestervelt wrote:

Well, if they aren't going to support it, it would be nice (and professional) of them to post a public statement saying so, along with the reasons why. They should also make the latest install that is compatible with Vista 64-bit available to the public.

The latest version that was truly compatible with Vista was not 12.1.2, but rather 11.1.5. Good ole turingtest2 posted a direct download link and some helpful hints on page 3 of .iTunes 12 incompatible with Windows Vista Data Execution Prevention - but it's important to note that you cannot support a mobile device running iOS 8 with that old iTunes version. If you need that capability, then you need to upgrade your OS. BTW if you have disabled data execution prevention and/or problem reporting in order to create an illusion that more recent iTunes versions were compatible with Vista, then I would strongly advise you to turn them back on!

Jul 10, 2015 4:47 AM in response to Marvin Martianul

Thanks for the info. This helped. I uninstalled iTunes 12.1 and reinstalled it since it had worked fine before 12.2 came out. But I'm getting the same messages, "The iPod cannot be synced. The disk is not available" and "The iPod cannot be synced because it cannot be found". So I'll uninstall 12.1 this weekend and install 11.1.5 instead and hopefully that will address the problem. Nothing I'd rather do than troubleshoot and fix Apple software problems on my PC over the weekend anyway....

Jul 13, 2015 7:44 PM in response to Marvin Martianul

Well now I have to take back all the bad things I was saying about Apple....well, most of them anyway. The problem I am experiencing is due to Norton. There is a workaround that is a bit clumsy, but at least I am able to sync again. More information here - https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-security-and-itunes#comments. Thanks for the help everyone, it got me closer to a temporary solution. Time to find another antivirus provider!

iTunes 12.2 Windows Vista 64Bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.