Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlists not syncing after 12.2.0 and 8.4 update

I have updated my iPhone to 8.4 and iTunes to 12.2.0. I created multiple playlists on my iPhone and added songs to them. Because I am using the new music service I thought the playlists would sync over iCloud. They did not show up in my playlists on iTunes, so I went ahead and synced my phone with iTunes and still do not see my new playlists. I also do not see my iTunes playlists on my iPhone.

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), null

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 11:12 PM

To make things even weirder...

Under "Playlists" on the iPhone Music app you can tap on "All Playlists" and choose either "All Playlists", "Apple Music Playlists" or "My Playlists".

So, I chose to show only my "Apple Music Playlists" and then chose to create a new playlist under that. Well, creating a playlist that way apparently does not create an Apple Music Playlist it just creates a regular playlist that only shows up in "My Playlists". So how do you create a "Apple Music Playlist"? All of the songs I have up into the playlists I created have been from the Apple Music service and not ones I purchased or ripped from CD.

I don't understand why they would even bother creating two separate types of playlists. Just sync all playlists and if there are songs from the music service in the playlist and you cancel the music service, those songs would disappear from the playlists.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2015 11:12 PM in response to JosiahW

To make things even weirder...

Under "Playlists" on the iPhone Music app you can tap on "All Playlists" and choose either "All Playlists", "Apple Music Playlists" or "My Playlists".

So, I chose to show only my "Apple Music Playlists" and then chose to create a new playlist under that. Well, creating a playlist that way apparently does not create an Apple Music Playlist it just creates a regular playlist that only shows up in "My Playlists". So how do you create a "Apple Music Playlist"? All of the songs I have up into the playlists I created have been from the Apple Music service and not ones I purchased or ripped from CD.

I don't understand why they would even bother creating two separate types of playlists. Just sync all playlists and if there are songs from the music service in the playlist and you cancel the music service, those songs would disappear from the playlists.

Jul 1, 2015 12:00 AM in response to Hazysea

In the left hand column on my device screen in iTunes, under Settings, then under Music, all I see is iCloud Music Library is On and only allows me to select an option about syncing voice memos. This is typically where iTunes asks what music I would like to be on the device. Further down the left column on this same screen is On My Device, Music and lists songs that I had before. This list cannot be edited.

I've never come across an issue like this. I've always found iTunes to be very easy to navigate and can accomplish whatever I try to do.

I suspect there may have been an issue downloading the newest update. I've "checked for updates" which tells me that I am current, I've restarted and ejected and reconnected the device without any luck. I suppose I'll stick with the music I currently have on my phone until one day the options I'm looking for reappear. Bummer way to start off with Apple Music.

Jul 1, 2015 2:51 AM in response to tj3211

Same issues here.

Playlists that are created, modified or deleted on iOS sync to other devices with no issues.

Any playlists that are created, modified or deleted on iTunes for OS X are not pushed to other devices. If a playlist is modified or deleted on OS X, it is changed back or recreated on next sync with iCloud.

iTunes 12.2's iCloud playlist sync is flat out broken.

Jul 1, 2015 5:01 AM in response to JosiahW

I have the same problem. The playlists created on itunes are not pushed on the Iphone.

The star ratings on Itunes are not pushed on the iphone but star ratings made on the iphone are pushed on itunes.

The big advantage of Itunes in front of its competitors is the possibility to create smart playlists.

Hope this feature will be maintained and that the problems of sync will be solved soon.

Jul 1, 2015 10:27 AM in response to JosiahW

Having problem also here.

My ipad does not sync my playlists and if I add music to my playlist from my ipad it is does not add songs to them (this are icloud playlists).

Also I am having problems with those songs that are not in the itunes music library but that I have them uploaded to icloud (match service). If I add them to icloud playlists those are not synced even when in my PC I can see them on the playlist.

There are still a lot of bugs 😟

Apple, help, I really would like to ditch Spotify but there are a lot of basics that I am missing.

Jul 1, 2015 12:47 PM in response to JosiahW

This worked for me...

Once your device is connected to your mac, you'll see in iTunes it appears on the top left. Click on it.

User uploaded file

Then, in the left lower section you'll see the "On My Device" setting, click on Music. Once this is done, you'll see the Music appear on the screen.

User uploaded file

On the top part of the you'll see three dots next to shuffle and play music.

User uploaded file

Click on it and click on add to up next.

User uploaded file

This is what I see on my iPhone now.

User uploaded file

Jul 1, 2015 11:08 PM in response to JosiahW

Okay. I ended up creating a new library by "option+click" on iTunes. With a new iTunes library it all works well. This tells me the phone is set up just fine and it is some issue with my old iTunes library. So, the question now is how to enable the iCloud Apple Music on a Mac...

Something must have been messed up when I first updated iTunes (probably server overload) and it never actually enabled the iCloud Apple Music when I was asked inside of iTunes. But I can't seem to find out how to enable/disable it. Nothing in "iCloud" inside of system prefrences and I don't see anything in iTunes settings for this. I have no desire to create a new iTunes library sense all of my old music ratings and playlists are on my old library.

Playlists not syncing after 12.2.0 and 8.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.