Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Oddities with deinterlacing some vintage video

Hello all.

I have some beautiful but old video footage that I need to use in a project. I have been told that bet tool/plug-in currently available is Fields Kit (FK) Deinterlacer. It's made by RE:Vision.

So I purchased it having heard miraculous tales.

I'm usually fairly good at learning new tricks but the manual for using it has me flummoxed. In particular the part about extending the length of a sequence manually first.

Here are the instructions. if someone could explain it to me and how it applies to deinterlacing in FCP 7 I would be immensely grateful.

Here goes:

1) Select the Source Layer to Deinterlace Source Layer : The current layer to which the filter is applied will be deinterlaced. Disclaimer: A plugin cannot by itself extend the duration of a clip. It needs help from the user and the usage of an external layer. Make sure to read the application note on how to extend the duration when applying a RE:VIsion Effects plugin.

Here is the "application note"

The plugin shows up in the submenu “Effects->Video-> Filters->REVision plugins.”

IMPORTANT: A plugin by itself cannot extend the duration of a layer or sequence it is applied to. If you are making the duration of a piece of footage longer you will first need to put your footage in a sequence that is the correct final duration. Make sure this intermediate sequence is extended to the correct final duration with valid frames (To “trick” the plugin into producing a frame for ALL of the extended sequence). This is a necessary FCP workaround. Each frame must be unique, or FCP will not rerun the plugin on each frame. As such you cannot use the Slug or Gradient video generator.

We now suggest that you extend the clip by simply appending multiple copies of the original clip along the timeline in the intermediate sequence. This will create a new and different frame at each point in time. Now apply the plugin to this intermediate extended sequence inside of another sequence.

Having different input and output frame rates using the plugin is not supported by Final Cut Pro.

For example, let's say we want to apply a RE:Vision Effects time-extending plugin to a 10 second sequence, and that the final sequence will be 30 seconds.

FCP Figure 1.First we make an Intermediate clip and extend the source clip by adding 20 seconds of the original footage. Because the original clip is 10 seconds, we need to add two more copies of the clip.

User uploaded file

(click to enlarge)

FCP Figure 2. The plugin should then be applied to
the Intermediate sequence inside of another sequence.

User uploaded file

(click to enlarge)

Final Cut Pro X Premiere Hitfilm Nucoda

So if someone can explain how this pertains to deinterlacing and how I apply the plugin to a clip (or the duplicate clips) so that the final video is deinterlaced and in the progressive format I'll be forever in your debt.

For those truly seeking sainthood the link to the manual is here:

http://www.stadionvideo.it/materiale/IED/FieldsKitV2Manual.pdf

Thank you - thank you - thank you

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 12:55 PM

From What I have read, if you use the i-field to 1-frame method, you will end up with a clip twice the duration of the original. This will need to be retimed, i.e. sped up to 200% so as to appear normal again. If for example you apply this to a 10 sec clip, the result will be a 20 sec with twice the amount of frames that the original. To be able to do that you will need to place the 10 sec clip you are deinterlacing in a separate sequence and add after it a 10 sec slug or noise form a generator. Then you need to define in and out points for the whole 20 sec and drag that sequence on the timeline upon you are editing, thus creating a nested sequence, apply the filter, render and retime, either with twixtor or by right clicking on the nested sequence to change its speed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 12:55 PM in response to Adrian Smith4

From What I have read, if you use the i-field to 1-frame method, you will end up with a clip twice the duration of the original. This will need to be retimed, i.e. sped up to 200% so as to appear normal again. If for example you apply this to a 10 sec clip, the result will be a 20 sec with twice the amount of frames that the original. To be able to do that you will need to place the 10 sec clip you are deinterlacing in a separate sequence and add after it a 10 sec slug or noise form a generator. Then you need to define in and out points for the whole 20 sec and drag that sequence on the timeline upon you are editing, thus creating a nested sequence, apply the filter, render and retime, either with twixtor or by right clicking on the nested sequence to change its speed.

Jul 22, 2015 8:49 AM in response to Adrian Smith4

HI Adrian:

The intsructions pertain to Adobe After Effects, not Final Cut Pro.

For what its worth, RE:Vision plug-in are all available for download as trial versions. You can apply the filter and make sure that you are happy with the results and then purchase it to remove the watermark.

Also, don't hesitate to reach out to Re:Vision. They're very interested to see how users are putting their product to work and very helpful.

-Warren

Oddities with deinterlacing some vintage video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.