Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4 lost music and playlist alter upgrade

Hello,

Since I've done the upgrade to iOS 8.4, I lost all my musics and playlists!!!! Only buyed items from the iTunes are present.

My local indicator of storage show 0 music but the used space is right.

Do you have any idea how to recover them without resync iTunes (because it will take 10 hours)?

Thanks for your help.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 12:51 AM

11 replies

Jul 2, 2015 4:59 AM in response to DarkPowerFP

Same symptoms. Options that that folks suggest to turn off are not there in settings on iPhone 5S. When I turn off show iTunes purchase it turns itself back on. I'm scared to try a sync as I don't want Ito delete files on PC. I only see what was purchased on iTunes mostly old crap my daughter downloaded 10 years ago. Lots of Britney. My wife is laughing at me (she's a Samsung girl). The gigs that my music take are still used so a double whammy. This might be the last straw for me and Apple.

Jul 3, 2015 4:07 AM in response to DarkPowerFP

Same problem with iPhone 6 64GB. It looked like I was going to have to restore the iphone, but accidentally got it working in about 3 minutes with this sequence:

1. Connected to iTunes on PC

2. Attempted to sync with iTunes. iTunes thought the 30GB of music on the iPhone was "Other files", and refused to sync as adding to 30GB of music again would take the storage on the phone over the 64GB limit.

3. Disconnected the iPhone, then changed my mind and re-connected it.

4. Hit "Back Up Now" on iTunes in preparation to do a restore. This worked some weird magic. After the backup, iTunes recognized the music on the iPhone as being music again.

5. Ran a sync again just to make sure. This took about a minute as there was nothing new to sync.

The iPhone now finds all my music and playlists again.

Talk about flaky. If I was going to have to restore the phone and sync the music library yet again (long story), I was going to give up on iTunes and use Plex or Google Play Music instead. As it is, I've *just* stayed with iTunes/Music app.

Suggest that other people try something like the above steps, but make sure you have a *spare* backup of the iOS device somewhere first: either on iCloud or by copying a backup subfolder from the iTunes backup folder (see Find and manage your iTunes backups - Apple Support). If that doesn't work: How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups - Apple Support

Jul 3, 2015 5:15 AM in response to DarkPowerFP

Same issue, no library loading in My Music, playlists disappeared and no way of playing my very expensive and extensive music collection!

Oh, I expect when someone from Apple finally replies to this stream they will say 'reset and restore from a backup' and nothing about the time it takes a customer to do this rather than Apple spending time to do good quality testing.

How about not rushing out of software and focusing on the customer experience rather than prioritising on driving more revenue because, in the end, poor software deployments will mean Apple loses a few customers and will definitely lose sales from those customers that remain.

I am now shelving my plans to upgrade to iPhone6 and the purchase of an iWatch.

Jul 3, 2015 6:29 AM in response to DarkPowerFP

Well Apple support told me to just try resyncing. I was skeptical. The resync copied all artwork and genius data but did not copy an music files. However my music is now showing and I can turn off the "show itune purchases" and it stays off sparing me from my daughter's 10 year old purchases. Music is also now showing up in Usage which it wasn't before. The interface is still horrible turning frequently used options such as show by artist, album, playlist as secondary menus that you are painful to get to while making most of the primary menu options things that are not of value to non "Apple Music" subscribers. At least major crisis is over for me. Sounds like these steps don't work for all. I'm holding off upgrading other Apple devices for now. Hopefully they will fix this nonsense in future updates.

Aug 2, 2015 7:35 AM in response to DarkPowerFP

Same issue here with both my iPhone 6plus and my iPad mini. All the music was converted to "other" files and inaccessible to iTunes. Re-syncing the devices did not cure it. Only after I did a backup to iTunes then reset -> erase all content and settings -> restore from iTunes backup did the other files shrink back and provide the space fro my music. This is a huge bug in iOS 8.4, so beware!

iOS 8.4 lost music and playlist alter upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.