Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change output filename

Using Compressor 4.2, I am sending jobs from FCPX, but when I try to rename the output file by double clicking on it in compressor, I am able to edit the name, but it reverts to the default name upon file export. This means, I effectively can't batch a set of files form a project as they all have the same output filename. Any ideas on how I can fix this issue? I really need the outputs to have unique names that I set, otherwise I can't batch anything, defeating the purpose of Compressor.

Thanks,

Adnan

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 11:53 PM

9 replies

Jul 1, 2015 7:34 AM in response to Russ H

Thank you both for your responses. I came up with a really hacky work around to get the job done. Here is a tutorial explaining:

http://www.madguru.com/learn/compressor_output_filename_workaround

Basically, exporting from FCPX using 'Send to Compressor' has a few issues. The initial one I found was that I could not rename the output file in Compressor. I renamed it and the output file reverted to the default at render time. This meant that if I was outputting several movies from one timeline, they all had the same output filename, which overwrite one another and make the whole Batch render useless.

In addition, I found that I was losing the selection I made in the FCPX timeline, unless I did things in a very precise way in FCPX and then in Compressor as well. It seems all too finiky. Basic process, as outlined in the tutorial I put together above:

1. In FCPX, rename your project to whatver you want the output file to be called.

2. Select the portion of the timeline you wish to export, or select nothing to output the while thing.

3. File/Send to Compressor.

4. Compressor pops open. Select the new batch job. Assign your preset render settings.

5. Your batch job should reflect the timeline portion you selected. Start Batch.

Check out the tutorial with images if the above is unclear.

This seems like a bug, perhaps a few bugs to me.

Adnan

P.S. I sent this problem and the workaround via the Compressor Feedback Link as well.

Can't change output filename

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.