Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music - Web? Change Country (apps and music issue)?

Hello all,

I've got a couple of questions. First, I have been completely unable to find any information online (Apple's website, MANY articles, forums, etc.) about whether Apple Music will offer a web app. Does anyone know? I can't download iTunes to my work computer so that's not an option for me and I listen to music all day long while I work. I'd rather not have to use Spotify for work and Apple Music for my phone. I want one service. If there's no web app, then I don't think I'll be able to use this past the free trial. :-(

Next, I'm from the US, but am living in Spain. I haven't changed my store because I'm afraid of losing what I've purchased in the US store. Will this happen with music and apps? Everyone seems to mention apps will no longer be updated, but what about the THOUSANDS of songs that I have bought from the US iTunes store? Will I no longer be able to listen to them? Will they be available for Apple Music? There are a few apps that I need here in Spain, but that aren't available in the US store and there are apps from the US store that I use daily (banking apps, etc.) so I can't really lose access to them.

Apple is a global company that has generally been great with regards to these things, but why is it that if you spend your money on something in one country's store, you can't use it (or update it) once you go to a different store? Especially these days when more and more people are mobile and changing countries ... (BTW, this isn't a complaint just with Apple - I also use an Android device and once I changed my store to Spain, I could no longer update my US apps.)

Regarding changing countries and Apple Music, if I do change my country, do the same country-specific limitations apply to Apple Music as in the iTunes Store? Or is there just one catalog for Apple Music?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 1:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 2:42 AM

As far as I know Apple haven't said anything about whether they will be doing a web-based version, only on computer's iTunes and iOS devices (and Apple TV and android phones later in the year).

If you are in Spain then you can only use the Spanish store, using the US store when not in the US is a violation of the store's terms and Apple could potentially permanently disable the account. That is a requirement of the content providers, they want control over where their content is available, and they might have different rights-holders in different countries.

You will continue to have access to your content that you've downloaded (songs will stay play, apps, assuming that they don't have geographical restrictions, will work), but you won't be able to redownload them unless you return to the US (and assuming that the rights-holder doesn't remove them from the US store).

Not sure about Apple Music, but it's likely to have different content in different countries, Apple might not have a license for an album/artist in Spain but do for the US (or vice versa)

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 2:42 AM in response to LSlade

As far as I know Apple haven't said anything about whether they will be doing a web-based version, only on computer's iTunes and iOS devices (and Apple TV and android phones later in the year).

If you are in Spain then you can only use the Spanish store, using the US store when not in the US is a violation of the store's terms and Apple could potentially permanently disable the account. That is a requirement of the content providers, they want control over where their content is available, and they might have different rights-holders in different countries.

You will continue to have access to your content that you've downloaded (songs will stay play, apps, assuming that they don't have geographical restrictions, will work), but you won't be able to redownload them unless you return to the US (and assuming that the rights-holder doesn't remove them from the US store).

Not sure about Apple Music, but it's likely to have different content in different countries, Apple might not have a license for an album/artist in Spain but do for the US (or vice versa)

Jul 1, 2015 3:23 AM in response to King_Penguin

I have no problem switching to the Spanish store. My concern is/was losing what I already paid for. What about apps that aren't in the Spanish store (like Bank of America, for example)? Will I still be able to use and update the app downloaded from the US store? This is what happened on my Android. The version of the BofA app was out of date, but once I was on the Spanish Google Play Store, I couldn't update it anymore. This is a pretty critical app for me as I maintain a US address and bank account.

And music, television and movies purchased in the US store, but aren't available in the Spanish store (and vice versa should I later return to the US?) will still be playable?

Aug 4, 2016 1:48 AM in response to LSlade

Apple, this is beyond obnoxious. I move countries a lot, my work requires me to move to countries and thus I use different cards at different points in time. I recently moved to India for a 6 month project and hence put the billing on my Indian card, after an entire month of struggling with changing stores (don't even ask, this think would automatically kick me back to the US store) I finally got to the indian store. Now all my apple music is gone. I realize licensing is an issue, I work in the **** industry but all of it? Even the ones on the Indian Apple Music Store? What the actual **** apple? So when I move back and change to the US store or any other store in the future I'll have to re-download each and every song and recreate all of my playlists? What daft thinking is this? Why the actual **** can't my music still be there? I'm already giving up app support and now this too? This isn't 1462. People move countries like they change clothes. This rubbish cannot be a thing. I'd like a response stat. Preferably something a little more in depth than "We're working on it" This is beyond ludicrous.

Apple Music - Web? Change Country (apps and music issue)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.