Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to limit/restrict access to apps ?

Hi,

⚠ Apple Security weakness! ⚠

I would like to know if there are means, on iPhone (iPad), to restrict, limit or deny access to certain apps (if not all) other than the main password. I am not talking about those apps that allow hiding files (pictures, contacts, videos, ... ) like secure folders and others. For example, you request to use my phone to make a call. I unlock it and allow you to go ahead. How could I😠 make sure, you won't be able to read my mails, read my messages (iMessages), see who I am talking to on FaceTime, ... ? Please, help me on that one!!!!😟

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 1:00 AM

8 replies

Jul 1, 2015 7:57 AM in response to Hodarik

There currently is not a way to restrict access to certain apps. The best you can do is put a passcode on the device, unlock it if someone wants to use your iPhone and then wait for them to hand it back to you. I would never hand my device to someone and then just walk away giving them unlimited access to my apps and other things.

Jul 1, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Hodarik

The lack of ability to secure particular apps is not the security weakness. The security issue you describe, is giving your phone to someone to make a phone call that you would expect to access data on your device. If you are worried someone will access data on your device, then don't had them the device. End of security issue.

Jul 1, 2015 11:02 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris,

We are supposed to trust each other ... Still, people are more curious than we may expect. Security breaches are not limited on the net (iCloud or others), it's any time someone may take advantages of a weakeness.

Android has found a parade for this problem. It would be wonderful if we could do the same on IOS.

Jul 1, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Hodarik

Feedback to Apple about features goes HERE, and then click on the appropriate subject area. To be absolutely honest, for me, I do not want to have to go through multiple layers of password security to access particular areas of my phone after I have unlocked it to start with. I would not want to have to tell someone to wait while I go through applying additional passwords to applications if someone I trust requests to use my device either. However, this subject and responses are purely subjective, and what is good for one may not be good for another, so in other words, that is just my opinion and it may not match yours.

Jul 1, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Hodarik

Guided Access may help you do what you're trying to do:

Use Guided Access with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

As an Apple shareholder, I would strongly object to Apple's spinning their wheels to add any further restriction capability (beyond the already existing Restrictions) to lock up apps on what is designed to be a single-user machine. I would much rather encourage them to spend their research and development on adding new capabilities, not new restriction mechanisms.

Jul 1, 2015 3:24 PM in response to Hodarik

In response to ChrisJ4203, sberman and many other,

I do respect and dearly appreciate your point of view. I was even thinking the same way as you do. Until I recently found a dear friend deeply in trouble just because his wife sneaked into his phone and create havoc with what she found. And, this is not the only risk!

Let me remind you that iPhone is a smart phone, even more, The Smart Phone everybody try to imitate or more. As a smart phone, its utility will depend on the user. We all own one but we don't use it the same way. Useless for me to go into details. And, still, we are proud to show/share it with others.

Most of us merely use it more than ten percent of its capability.

On all of them iPhone, there is a button (icon) called SETTING. The setting we will adopt will depend on the options available, the knowledge of each owner and his tastes. The fact that I am not knowing/understanding/using (or else) a particular setting isn't a justified reason to prevent another customer from having it!

For the high price we paid to acquire it, I am convinced that some more "restriction mechanisms" are some of the capabilities Apple's research and development should add. Make them available to everybody without imposing them to anybody!!!! Each user would decide what to do with it. Many users don't even lock their smart phone.

Friendly, proud iPhone user!

Jul 1, 2015 3:30 PM in response to Hodarik

And as I indicated earlier, owner's desires are strictly subjective. If you would like to see something added to the device, you have the same ability all of us do to make suggestions to Apple, and that is to use the feedback link I provided you earlier. You understand it is individual opinions. You provided yours, we provided ours, however, it doesn't matter. Apple does not participate in the forum, and does not get feedback or feature ideas here. Neither of us responding here say you don't need it, we said we don't like the idea. Feel free to provide feedback to Apple and see what happens.

How to limit/restrict access to apps ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.