Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing features in the new music app "update"

The new music app:

You can't go flick forward or back to different tracks like you could before. You have to manually select the next track.

I have managed to DELETE a track but it appears again in a SECOND instance of the same album!!!!

There is no 'now playing' option to continue playing the same track as you were when you previously closed the app.

When I want to list the albums by title it is still listing them by Artist.

I have accidentally invoked "Up next" and now cannot get rid of it at the bottom of the app.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 2:33 AM

10 replies

Jul 1, 2015 5:24 AM in response to JimHdk

I thought maybe someone else was experiencing the same problems and maybe I am missing something in the use of the app.

I thought the idea of forums was to share this kind of feedback and people may have solutions.

Obviously I was wrong.

I can see loads of people posting issues with the latest "upgrade" to 8.4. so not sure what prompted your remark.

I am supposed to fill in a form about issues that should have been resolved by beta testing, to which I will never get a reply?

Great idea. Tell me where to post something that Apple WILL read as that is where they need to know this sort of thing.

Jul 1, 2015 7:22 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Unfortunately, unless I have a credit card in my hand they are really not interested.

No matter. I will use another music app instead of the excuse for one they have just given me.

My own fault - I should not have updated. I thought it was an upgrade, which by definition means to improve.

I was sadly mistaken about that and the support "community".

Jul 1, 2015 7:55 AM in response to kpjames5

To answer some of your queries - there are several places where you can skip back and forth between tracks.

You can pull up the control centre from anywhere on the phone and do that, just as you could before. You can also do it in the lock screen, just as you could before. I guess they decided it was redundant within the music app itself, given all these other features they've put in.

The "Now Playing" option is contained within the thumbnail of the album cover at the top of the page, and also in the strip at the bottom (see the Pause and Play buttons?). They both seem to pick up where you left off.

To get the Artist/Album view as you want it, go to Settings-Music-Sort Albums- By Title. That will give you an alpha list by Title when you select the Albums view.

Personally, while it all takes getting used to, I reckon there's a lot more than there used to be. Not least three months' free access to every bit of music in the store!

Jul 1, 2015 8:27 AM in response to AKRBTN

Thanks for your help.

Within the app, despite selecting albums by title, it is still sorting by Artist. Only when I go to settings does it change.

The last played song can't be resumed when you restart the app. You have to scroll through everything to find the track again.

Even my cheap mp3 player from 7 years ago has that feature.

A third of the app area is taken up with "recently added" as if I needed to be reminded of that.

Still have no idea how I have "deleted" a track. I wonder if the sync will restore it.

Alas, the beta testers didn't do their job properly. It is a step backward in the user experience.

I have given up with it and will find another app.

Jul 1, 2015 8:46 AM in response to kpjames5

"Only when I go to settings does it change."

Well....yes....but you only have to do that once. We're being given the option. I quite like the alternative of seeing each album listed independently but with the artists still listed alphabetically - artist names register better with me, especially with "Greatest Hits" albums which get given all sorts of titles I can never remember.

I almost never skipped tracks within the Music app - not when I can do it from anywhere just be pulling up the Control Centre.

Jul 2, 2015 8:17 PM in response to kpjames5

Couple of things:

1. Cannot create a Station of a SIngle artist to stream OR download for offline. In Slacker I can do that.

2. When you pick a song from Apple Music and want to add it to a NEW playlist, there is not a "+New" option. You have to first create the playlist and then add the song. In Slacker, when you want to put a song in a Playlist that does not exist, there is an option at the Top of the list to "Add New Playlist".

3. When I pick a Genre Station, I cannot create a Download version of that Genre Station for offline listening. In Slacker, it creates a download of of that Station Playlist for offline.

4. In Apple Music, there is no designation of which playlists are available offline. You have to select "only show offline", which when you do that, you do not see what you are missing.

Missing features in the new music app "update"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.