Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi not working on iOS 8.4

Hi,

I had problems on iOS 8.3 where Wi-Fi worked at the beginning, but then stopped. Sometimes iPhone 4S attempted to connect, I saw wifi icon and then it disappeared. I tried Reset Network Settings, I managed to setup Wi-Fi connection again, but it worked for a few minutes and then again the same issue.

I was hoping that the issue will be fixed on 8.4, but now it's worse. After resetting network settings I cannot even join wifi network. After entering password, it says "Unable to Join the network. I have correct password, because I'm using it for other devices.

I tried to restore iphone through iTunes, but I cannot do that, because I'm getting error message "Find My iPhone" must be turned off. The problem is that I cannot turn Find My iPhone off in iCloud settings on the device, because Wi-Fi is not working. Now I cannot restore iPhone and I cannot setup Wi-Fi.

Another issue is the fact that device may not have 8.4 installed. Although it reports version 8.4, the device didn't show locked screen after update, like it did on iPad. It seems that device only shows version ioS 8.4, but hasn't really been updated, otherwise I would see locked screen after restart.

Is there a way to force iOS 8.4 update again on the device?

How can I fix wi-fi problem? Wi-Fi scanning seems to be a little slow. On that page the device often freezes for 20 seconds or so. The quality of iOS and Mac OS X has gone down dramatically.

I have $800 iPhone 4S, which has the antenna problem and I don't think I want another Apple device, if I can get Android device with better spec than iPhone 6 for $200. Over 3 years I made around 50 calls with this device and I'm not using much. I'm just using password manager app and need wifi for sync and backup.

You know what, forget this, because no one is going to fix/revert wifi code back to what it was on 8.0 or older.

MacBook Air (13-inch Late 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 4:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 9:09 AM

iOS 8.4 with broken wifi also drains battery. In 3 hours battery capacity dropped from 100% to 73% (loss of 27%).

I recommend users who experience wifi issue to completely disable wifi until Apple fixes the problem. It looks like device is occasionally scanning wifi networks while in sleep mode.

After you disable wifi, avoid enabling it again or even navigating to the wifi settings. The device may freeze. In that case you need to press and hold power button and home button at the same time. When the devices shuts down, power up again and don't try to change wifi setting, leave it off.

I think the device must be doing something on the background that causes high CPU usage, device slows down and after a few ore seconds it freezes completely. Clearly some multi-threaded deadlock in wifi or networking routines.

210 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 9:09 AM in response to RobertDeveloper

iOS 8.4 with broken wifi also drains battery. In 3 hours battery capacity dropped from 100% to 73% (loss of 27%).

I recommend users who experience wifi issue to completely disable wifi until Apple fixes the problem. It looks like device is occasionally scanning wifi networks while in sleep mode.

After you disable wifi, avoid enabling it again or even navigating to the wifi settings. The device may freeze. In that case you need to press and hold power button and home button at the same time. When the devices shuts down, power up again and don't try to change wifi setting, leave it off.

I think the device must be doing something on the background that causes high CPU usage, device slows down and after a few ore seconds it freezes completely. Clearly some multi-threaded deadlock in wifi or networking routines.

Jul 1, 2015 4:57 PM in response to atlelage

wifi on my iPad mini is not working immediately after updating to IOS8.4 from IOS8.3

i cannot turn on the wifi at all. I cannot restore unless I put it on recovery mode. After restoring to a totally new iPad, is still not working. Before this, I updated iPad using OTA, so definigely the iPad is working right before updating

apple de please fix it soon

Jul 2, 2015 2:48 AM in response to RobertDeveloper

Attempted to fix by following steps:

1. Disable Bluetooth - no luck

2. Disable Location services (I was thinking if assisted GPS somehow doesn't interfere with networking) - did not help

3. Remove SIM card and left only wi-fi - still nothing

4. Upgraded firmware on wi-fi router to the latest. Why would I need this? This requires some more explanation. Apple released iOS 8.4 with a fix for iPhone 4S where it should better match security settings of router to prevent iPhone to connect to a router which broadcasts fake SSID. Upgrading firmware on the router did not help.

No luck at all.

I'm thinking of trying another type of connection - perhaps WEP instead of WPA/WPA2

Another test could be changing channel number on the router - I'm thinking if some iPhones don't have an interference problem on certain frequencies. The wifi problem was reported on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPhone 6, so it is unlikely that wi-fi chipsets and circuit around it could have this kind of problem on so many devices.

Please share what you have tried.

Thanks.

P.S. I think Apple should be paying us for that or at least send us some devices for FREE. When a user of my app found a problem, I resolved it and despite that I offered this user a full refund + 3 extra licenses for friends/family, just for his effort and letting me know about this particular problem and his suggestions, which lead to new version of the app and new features.

Jul 2, 2015 3:23 AM in response to RobertDeveloper

More updates:

As I suggested I changed wi-fi channel on the router from Auto (which is 1 - 11) to 9 and managed to get wifi connection for about 2 - 3 seconds. I also tried other channels, but no luck. Channel 5 seems to be working a little better, but network dropped after a minute or so. If I remember there were some problems with wireless stability and Apple implemented some software fix. Perhaps someone removed that fix/hack, because that developer thought it is no longer necessary. Perhaps that fix could handle intermittent disconnections or variable bandwidth setting, who knows. But this could be our problem.

Right now iPhone has great difficulty to even scan for available networks.

It would be nice if Apple could publish the code and let us do code review or perhaps if we could implement the fix ourselves.

Jul 2, 2015 3:56 AM in response to RobertDeveloper

Screen on iPhone 4S started flickering again. Battery is at 85%. While recharging the device was flickering less at 87%, it was even less obvious at 89% and screen seems stable at 92%. At 93% of battery capacity, flickering is a little worse, but can be noticed only by peripheral vision. The device behaves as if oscillator was becoming unstable. It is around 25 degrees Celsius. This device is 3 years old and I'm thinking if deteriorating components aren't culprit of not just screen flickering, but also wi-fi.

However yesterday I put iPhone into refrigerator for a few minutes to cool it down to about 15 degrees and tested wi-fi at full battery capacity. Wi-fi still didn't work. It has to be software problem, because it worked on iOS 8.2 (on my device, although there were reports of wi-fi problems since iOS 8.0).

Jul 2, 2015 7:46 AM in response to RobertDeveloper

strange thing with my iphone6... Afte upgrading to iOS 8.4 stopped working wifi but only if set static IP (normal configuration in mu house)

other devices (ipad, laptop, other iphone) works without problems with this configuration in my house. Only my iphone6 ios8.4 fail

but the strangest thing is that in my office, with a DHCP configured wifi, the phone connects and works properly

the difference is only the dhcp...

confused...

Jul 2, 2015 8:04 AM in response to RobertDeveloper

Apple needs to get their stuff together. Seriously.

I own an iPhone 6, and iPad mini 2, an iPod Touch 5, and an iMac 27.5 (16gb RAM, 1tb hard drive, late 2013 model), and EVERY ONE OF THEM IS HAVING WIFI ISSUES SINCE iOS 8.4/Yosemite 10.10.4. This is just obnoxious. There is no way I am buying another iDevice. These guys can't even get a stable iOS or Mac OS release after MONTHS of betas both private and public.

That being said, here's what's worked for me to get wifi moving again:

1. Forget Wifi Network

2. Reset Network Settings, or

3. Switch to Airplane Mode & Back.

These are all temporary fixes, though.

Wi-Fi not working on iOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.