Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I connect my ipad Mini 3 to a WD My passport via a USB female to female connector, will this invalidate the warranty

I have an iPad Mini 3 (16Gb) which I would like to connect to a Western Digital My Passport 1Tb external drive. neither of the connections is compatible, i.e. the

USB 2.0 connector cable for the iPad cannot be used to connect with the external drive because the connection socket on that is SS USB 3.0 Micro USB to standard USB 3.0 connector (compatible with USB 2.0).

However, there is a connector that will allow the standard USB male ends to connect via USB 3.0 female to USB 3.0 female, in the understanding that I will only be able to achieve USB 2.0 transfer speed (see pic).User uploaded file

Any thoughts please regarding voiding warranty on either component?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Canon Pixma 925, WD My Cloud.

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 2:22 AM

13 replies

Jul 1, 2015 3:05 AM in response to sapper

This can't be done and won't work without jailbreaking the device. Jailbreaking will void your warranty and leave you with a buggy operating system. The camera connection kit will allow you to access photos and video only from a powered hard drive i.e.. not the drive you have. I would suggest you invest in a wireless hard drive such as the WD Wireless Passport which will work with your iPad and up to 5 other devices all at the same time.

Jul 1, 2015 4:23 AM in response to sapper

You can't, the camera connection kit is the only way to connect a drive to an iPad, and it can only be used to copy photos and/or videos to the iPad's Photos app. You will either need to use a cloud service, go via your computer (e.g. email, copying to/from view iTunes or your wifi network), or there are some wifi enabled drives that let you stream content to a device.

Jul 1, 2015 4:58 AM in response to trentn

Hi trentn, your reply has put me in a quandary: whether to re-invest in the wireless HD, or stick with what I've got. What is this "camera connection kit" that you refer to? I have 2 SLR's, both of which have download cables to connect with the iMac. I also have a GoPro Hero camera which also uses a download cable.

I will look into the wireless HD situation in due course.

Jul 2, 2015 7:13 AM in response to sapper

You asked about the "camera connection kit" for which I supplied info.

Basically, you are trying to do something with a USB powered external hard drive using adapters (in your initial post) that simply cannot be done. The links I provided may help you accomplish what you wish but in a different way. We've supplied the info. It's up to you to use that info to help yourself.

Jul 3, 2015 12:03 AM in response to sapper

What type of content are you wanting to copy to/from the HD ? An iPad doesn't support the connection of hard drives to it (the only connector available for an iPad is the camera connection kit for copying photos/videos to the Photos app, nothing else will be recognised) ; there are wifi-enabled drives that allow you to stream content to a device. If you are wanting to access documents then have you looked at cloud-based storage ?

If I connect my ipad Mini 3 to a WD My passport via a USB female to female connector, will this invalidate the warranty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.