Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes, “Movies” and “Music” folders

A lot of the music and videos in my iTunes are also in my “Movies” and “Music” folders.

Must they be both places, they take up much space, I would like to have them only in iTunes

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 3:39 AM

They could be the same. Have you opened them and compared the contents?

Ciao.

12 replies

Jul 2, 2015 6:03 AM in response to nomen nescis

nomen nescis wrote:

In my music folder.

I have these subfolders:

GarageBand

iTunes

My Music

Plus what I put in there.

What do you have in the Music>iTunes folder? Exactly where are the 'duplicates' located?

It may be helpful if you downloaded OmniDiskSweeper and Grand Perspective (both free) and opened them. They will show all of your files and the respective sizes. They may be able to identify if there are duplications and where they may be located.

Ciao.

Jul 3, 2015 12:19 PM in response to nomen nescis

Very good, you have found the MUSIC and MOVIES folders.

Back to the original question: " A lot of the music and videos in my iTunes are also in my “Movies” and “Music” folders. Must they be both places, they take up much space, I would like to have them only in iTunes"

When you say, "A lot of the music and videos in my iTunes.", exactly where do you mean. Is that when you open the iTunes application? If that is the case, then that indeed is normal. Your MUSIC folder is the source for the iTunes application.

If not, can you identify where the duplication may exist.

Ciao.

iTunes, “Movies” and “Music” folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.