Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro (late 2013) GPU freezes

hello community

I'd like to reach out because I experience problems with my mac pro (late 2013, 3.7 Ghz, quadcore). I have connected

two external displays (DVI via thunderbolt) and randomly experience the following symptom:

- sluggish interface or not controllable at all, often with spinning beachball

- computer works normally (music playing for example), it's just the interface that doesn't work anymore

After doing some research on this topic, I downloaded iStat menu to look at the temperature of my graphics card.

Here you can see that

1) my second graphics card is hotter, even though it didn't have to work at all during measurement and was even partially disconnected

from the display

2) the amperage GPU2 VDDCI is very high at 11.15

Now my question, is my second graphics card broken? This would be relieving because the only remedy against these symptoms is to

do a restart. This is my (own) companies computer and I'm really worried how and what to do because I really need it to work...

Any help is appreciated!

Kind regards

Yves

2nd display connected: 2nd display not connected:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 2:57 AM

5 replies

Sep 22, 2017 9:11 AM in response to danden

I have had these issues since my two Mac Pros (work and home) were new in 2013. I have a question for those who are affected - do you use Dashboard? And is it running in Overlay mode? A couple of times when my Mac locked up it was preceded by a visual glitch in Dashboard, followed by the entire machine locking up within a few minutes. So I have set Dashboard to run in a separate space rather than overlay mode as a test, but it's only been a week so I can't say I have any conclusive results. My theory is that overlay mode may be triggering GPU errors.

Nov 23, 2015 6:22 PM in response to albertouch

albertouch wrote:

Hi

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. Three times now after over 3 or 4 hours work. Nothing to intensive. I don't know, but i always blamed iTunes for the freezing. Music as you say keeps on playing. Have you managed to get any support form Apple on this?

Thank you 😉

Same problem to me... but until now, no response from Apple for this issue.

See

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7153653

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7045057

BR

Max

Nov 24, 2015 7:29 AM in response to maxcarella

maxcarella

These are User-to-User forums. Readers are other Apple Users like you. Apple makes no promise to read these posts, and NEVER responds here unless your initial query goes un-answered for several days.

If you want satisfaction from Apple Inc, you need to make an appointment at an Apple Store or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider and present your equipment for their evaluation.

In some regions, telephone support is also available.

These forums have no mechanism for escalating User problems to be addressed directly by Apple.

Mac Pro (late 2013) GPU freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.