Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Music or Local Library? My local library seems to be gone.

When I installed iTunes 12.2 it prompted me to use iCloud music. Since that is the iTunes Match equivalent (as I understand it) I selected that option.

Where is my local iTunes library on my iMac and how do I get it back?? There are tracks on it from locally performed music that were never uploaded to the cloud and that library is HUGE. I tried logging out of itunes and logging back in. When I did that I had to reselect iCloud Music in Preferences. Until I did that NONE of my local library or playlists were visible..

1. Did I lose my library?

2. If not lost how can I use the local librbary and still have Match / iCloud music sync future additions?

3. Can I still use iCloud Music on my iPad and iPhone so that I don't have to sync and store all my music locally on my ios devices?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 4:16 AM

4 replies

Jul 1, 2015 5:32 AM in response to hmgreen1153

Since there are very few posts with this topic I think it is just the usual couple of cases of this happening as with any iTunes installation. The easiest way to get it back is to restore from a backup you made before installing any new software on your computer. After that is is a matter of various things:

1) Do you keep your library in the default location in your Music folder and with all default preferences settings?

2) Is your music really gone or is it just the library file that didn't get updated properly? Do you suddenly see a huge amount of free space on your hard drive or are your music files still in the Media folder?

ASC user turingtest2 help document: Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6561

iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1451

3) If your music is really gone then you will have to restore it from the original sources (and regard this as a learning opportunity to always have a computer backup).

Jul 1, 2015 5:35 AM in response to Limnos

Library seems to be on the hard drive (thankfully) - and drive space is as before. So that leaves 2 of the the original 3 questions:

2. If not lost how can I use the local library and still have Match / iCloud music sync future additions?

3. Can I still use iCloud Music on my iPad and iPhone so that I don't have to sync and store all my music locally on my ios devices?

Jul 1, 2015 6:41 AM in response to hmgreen1153

I don't think this had anything to do with you activating the Music functionality, it was just another case where a fraction of a percent of users have something go wrong with upgrading their library to a new iTunes version. Try the repair/recover methods documented in the links I posted earlier. Your .itl library file is a catalog of all the media you have on your computer, playlists, and other information. This did not get updated correctly so you need to use an alternative version (unless you did a computer backup just before updating which is always a good idea). One is to use an older .itl and then remember what changes you made since then. Another is to use the .xml version which tends to be more up to date but will result in loss of some information such as play count, date added, and ratings.

iCloud Music or Local Library? My local library seems to be gone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.