Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install 10.10.4 update

(Mac Pro, late 2013; 3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 250GB HDD SSD)

App store udate tries to download files but after a second it stops and does not proceed with installation - update button is still there.

Tried with combo update file but the same thing here. It shows installation progress bar for less then a sec and skips to the end (with no result in update). There's an information that further installation will be proceed after restart but it doesn't give any result.

Any ideas what to do with that?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 4:08 AM

4 replies

Jul 1, 2015 9:40 AM in response to mdpl

This procedure will delete certain temporary and cache files used by system processes. The files are automatically generated and don't contain any of your data. Occasionally they can become corrupt and cause problems such as yours.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/var/folders/zz

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with a subfolder named "zz" selected. Move that subfolder to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Jul 7, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Seagull21

Had same problem as Seagull. Your directions Linc were crystal clear and did the job!

Now, as a cautionary note, I quickly located the zz folder and trashed it--and was tempted to try the update again-- before backing up. I vaguely remembered having backed up yesterday, so figured I was covered. Then, I overcame that temptation, and did a Carbon Copy Cloner full backup of the laptop. After that, I proceeded, with success! Message: Always back up when advised, even if tempted not to.

10.10.4 is downloading in the background, now, as I write. I'm confident it will succeed; the question is, will it restore the battery life to my Mac laptop?! 🙂

Can't install 10.10.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.