Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4s will not let me update past 7.1.2, and it will not offer me an update on iTunes either. Does anyone have a solution. I have already reset my phone back to factory settings and reinstalled but will not offer me past that iOS. Thank you

Hello all my iPhone 4s will not update past 7.1.2. It's that it won't update it's just not offering me it. I have also tried through iTunes and it doesnt offer me it on there either. Some of my apps are now not working because it needs iOS 8 or higher. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Also I have put phone back to factory settings an still nothing

Regards

Alex

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 4:47 AM

4 replies

Jul 1, 2015 5:29 AM in response to AlexBert1

Hi Alex,

Do you have the latest version of iTunes? If you have older version of Mac OS X, it may not allow you to update to the latest iTunes. You will probably need to get at least Mac OS X Mavericks, better yet install OS X Yosemite, if you can. Than you should be able to get latest iTunes 12.2 (or at least iTunes 11). Then it should allow you to update iPhone 4S to iOS 8. I think I had similar problem when iOS 8 was first released, but to maintain the ability to develop apps compatible with iOS 5 and 6, I kept older version of OS X. Eventually I was also forced to update Mac OS X to get newer version of iTunes to get iOS 8 installed on my iPhone 4S.

I hope this helps.

Sep 28, 2016 8:53 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

WOW! What a scam they have going on Amazon! I just bought this iphone 4 and first it didn't have a sim card slot. Straight talk said I HAD to have one of THEIR sim cards to work with their network. I bought the phone because it said it could be used with my Straight Talk. I did see if you buy a number to activate it, ST can send a signal out (supposedly)

and it can work without a sim card. I thought I would try tomorrow to get it working by doing that.. BUT!

here is the *******! Even if it does work and I get it activated It said this phone will NOT update past 7.1.2 i0s. But when I logged into iTunes it said all of the apps have to have 8.0 or HIGHER!

So do NOT expect to have anything but phone service (if that) if you buy an outdated iphone!

My iPhone 4s will not let me update past 7.1.2, and it will not offer me an update on iTunes either. Does anyone have a solution. I have already reset my phone back to factory settings and reinstalled but will not offer me past that iOS. Thank you

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.