Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Classical music

The new software seems designed to frustrate those of us who listen to classical music.

The metadata on most classical music recordings is organised by composer, but the software is incapable of dealing with this in a sensible way. So in the "Albums" view, J.S. Bach appears under J, not under B. Same problem if you use the "Composer" view, particularly as a track identified as by "G.F. Handel" appears a long way away from one identified as just by "Handel" or even "Georg Friedrich Handel".

Improvements needed here, I think!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 5:25 AM

3 replies

Jul 1, 2015 2:02 PM in response to pdsk

As I discuss in my Grouping tracks into albums article I find it helps to treat the composer as the artist for classical music. If you don't have to worry about putting the tracks on an iPod classic then you can leave the original performer details in Artist and just set Album Artist as required. You can set sort values to control the order. For classical composers only I also set the sort valums so they are sorted by surname in artist, album artist & composer listings.

tt2

Classical music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.