Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookPro11.1

Hello.

I am a PC user. I recently started a job that uses Macs. I am having a lot of difficulty adjusting to the OS since i still use a PC at home. I have decided to do the boot camp. I have read the instructions and watched a couple of youtube videos. I would like some clarification on the below:

My MacBookPro11,1 (OS X 10.10.3) does not have a CD rom so do i have to download Windows 8 and put it on a USB memory stick to upload the program? Or can i download the program and leaving it on a folder on the Mac?

Since i have an I5 - this means that i need to download a 64 bit version of Windows 8, correct?

In regards to the USB, can i have the Windows 8 program and Bootcamp drivers on it? Or do i need to 2 different USB sticks? Also, i read that i have to format the USB to FAT, is this correct?

Any tips/advise would be appreciated!

Thanks,

JR

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 6:09 AM

Microsoft Online Store will provide a download manager (.exe) when you but W8.1, which should be run on a PC to get an ISO and/or USB.

Put this ISO on your Mac, get a USB2 flash drive, use BCA to partition and install Windows.

Please start at How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support .

YouTube videos are fine, but can lead to problems. Follow the official Apple guides and the ASC can assist in getting you up an running quickly.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 6:09 AM in response to Lifesurfer84

Microsoft Online Store will provide a download manager (.exe) when you but W8.1, which should be run on a PC to get an ISO and/or USB.

Put this ISO on your Mac, get a USB2 flash drive, use BCA to partition and install Windows.

Please start at How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support .

YouTube videos are fine, but can lead to problems. Follow the official Apple guides and the ASC can assist in getting you up an running quickly.

Jul 1, 2015 6:21 AM in response to Loner T

So buy Windows 8 via download on Microsoft's website and save the file on my PC get an ISO. Then transfer the ISO to the Mac. Do i have to upload the ISO to the USB drive or put the ISO on a folder on a mac? I know the USB is used to create a back-up of the Mac drivers but is it also used to keep the ISO for the microsoft OS? (This is where i am getting confused)

Jul 1, 2015 7:14 AM in response to Lifesurfer84

Lifesurfer84 wrote:

So buy Windows 8 via download on Microsoft's website and save the file on my PC get an ISO. Then transfer the ISO to the Mac. Do i have to upload the ISO to the USB drive or put the ISO on a folder on a mac? I know the USB is used to create a back-up of the Mac drivers but is it also used to keep the ISO for the microsoft OS? (This is where i am getting confused)

You do not need to upload the ISO to the USB. Running BCA will integrate the ISO and the BC drivers from Apple into a single Windows Installer on the USB. BCA will prompt you for the location of ISO on your Mac. Please ensure that you use a USB2 flash drive, not a USB3.

Also, would i be able to install Windows 7 or does it need to be 8?

From How to identify MacBook Pro models - Apple Support, your Mac is

MacBook Pro models

MacBook Pro 13-inch

Model Model Identifier Model Number Configuration
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

MacBookPro11,1

MGX72xx/A

MGX82xx/A

MGX92xx/A

13.3”/2.6 i5/8GB/128GB-Flash

13.3”/2.6 i5/8GB/256GB-Flash

13.3”/2.8 i5/8GB/512GB-Flash

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

MacBookPro11,1

ME864xx/A

ME865xx/A

ME866xx/A

13.3"/2.4 i5/4GB/128GB-Flash

13.3"/2.4 i5/8GB/256GB-Flash

13.3"/2.6 i5/8GB/512GB-Flash

From System requirements to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support

MacBook Pro

Mac model Windows 8 64-bit Windows 7 64-bit Windows 7 32-bit Windows Vista 64-bit Windows Vista 32-bit Windows XP 32-bit
MacBook Pro
(Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
BCA BCA - - - -
MacBook Pro
(Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
5 5 - - - -

You can install W7 64-bit or W8+ 64-bit.

MacBookPro11.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.