Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded my eMac's hard drive today! :)

So today I finally decided to update my internal hard drive from the original 80 GB one that was in there and getting full. I had been constantly offloading stuff to my external hard drives to keep the drive at roughly 19-20GB free, but that was getting old.
So today after using Carbon Copy Cloner to make sure everything on my internal was cloned to my external, I went a head and did the swap. Taking the eMac apart to the point where I could get to the hard drive took about 15 minutes. After that, swapping the old drive with the one in the enclosure, putting the old drive in the enclosure, and putting the eMac back together and cleaning out the inside a bit of dust and crime, took another 30 minutes or so. So about 45 minutes total.
I am happy to report that everything appears to be working ok. My old drive shows up nicely in the enclosure and the new drive (a 160GB) looks about the same as the old one did but with a lot more room free (~55.5GB free). So that will buy me some time. I could have put my 200GB one in here, but then I thought, when this drive begins to fill up, by then it might be time to upgrade to a new computer as this G4 is our most recent computer in the house, so probably should catch up a little.
A few notes for anyone wanting to do this. I didn't bother to discharge the CRT. For one thing, it is under a rubber cap anyway, but also, all the work you need to do to change the hard drive is on the opposite site of the computer, so I never came close to that part. I did have an alligator clip lead and a screwdriver that I was going to discharge it with, but skipped it. However it should be noted, as an electrical engineer, I am very comfortable working around stuff like this, so perhaps others not so familiar with high voltage and electronics might want to opt for the discharge.
Keep your screws in a row. That is, as you take off a set of screws, put them together. Next set, put to the right of those, and so on. When you go to put it back together, you can then work backwards through your line of screws.
Basically all you need is a 2.5mm allen wrench and a phillips screwdriver.
Happy upgrading!
Patrick

eMac 1.25GHz with Superdrive & 1GB RAM  250/200/160 FW Ext Drives , Mac OS X (10.3.9),  Epson 740 Printer  iLife v4 

Posted on Oct 28, 2006 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 7:43 AM

I just tried the same thing today with a big glitch - it won't power up now! I believe I did everything to the letter, as far as I can tell. Now, when I press the power button I don't get a thing. Any help?
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2015 7:43 AM in response to PT

I just tried the same thing today with a big glitch - it won't power up now! I believe I did everything to the letter, as far as I can tell. Now, when I press the power button I don't get a thing. Any help?

Oct 29, 2006 7:53 AM in response to Community User

Did you plug the power switch back into the shell before lowering it all the way? Also when you reattach the assembly to the rest of the computer, there are four cables on the bottom (when the computer is sitting monitor side down) and then another cable up top, so perhaps you missed one of those or one of the bottom four pulled out while reassembling and you didn't notice.
Patrick

Apr 3, 2015 7:43 AM in response to PT

Thanks for the quick reply. I double and triple-checked all of the connections and harnesses.
One thing that did happen was that my friend was lifting the housing off at first and forgot about the power cord. It jerked a little, but we checked the wiring and it looked fine. We had a voltage meter, and it looked like power was coming to the connector. We even tried to hotwire the power cable, but to no avail.
I have searched the discussions and I have seen something about the PMU reset button. The tech manual I have must be a version too old, because I can't see anything like a PMU reset button around the RAM. Any ideas?

Apr 3, 2015 7:43 AM in response to Community User

I took the computer to the Apple store in my area last night, and they only could come up with the PMU reset button and replacing the battery. I went ahead and bought a battery, but it didn't work. They said it would cost $85 just to ship it, so I opted out of that. Her best guess after that was either I broke the power button cable or the logic board is bad. I might just cut my losses and get a new computer 😟
Now, should I just buy another eMac on eBay or get a mini? I don't have enough money to get anything bigger or better.

Nov 24, 2006 9:08 AM in response to PT

Patrick;

I need to get the internal HD out of my dead eMac (fried logic board) so that I can transfer the data off to an external HD drive. Do you know if there is a link to a set of step by step instructions on how to access the eMac internal HD?

Also, I have a HD enclosure I bought for the internal HD drive of a PowerBook. Will it work for the eMac HD drive as well?

Marc

Nov 24, 2006 12:29 PM in response to Marc Keane

Hi marc,
To answer your last question first, likely you won't be able to put the eMac's hard drive into your existing enclosure you bought for a PowerBook drive because the PowerBook drive is likely a 2.5" laptop type drive and the eMac is a 3.5" drive. I assume the enclosure you bought is a 2.5" version? If so, the connection is different, not to mention the physical size issue of the eMac driving simply being too large.
To your first question, there are web sites with instructions and photos. This page is about replacing the optical drive, but the disassembly instructions gets you to the same place you need to be for the hard drive...
http://www.wilko.com/emac/
Patrick

Upgraded my eMac's hard drive today! :)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.