Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlists for Audio Books in iBooks

I'm a huge audiobook listener and have quite an extensive library. I have books organized in playlist with iTunes, particularly books that were part of a series. Now with the new iOS 8.4 upgrade, everything is messed up. I know I have to use iBooks to access my audiobooks, but what can I do about my playlists that I spent a lot of time setting up. In iBooks I don't have the equivalent of a playlist... or am I missing something? I tried creating a "collection" for audiobooks, but couldn't figure that out. I'm really not happy with this change, but that's life... have to adjust.

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 5:39 AM

36 replies

Jul 1, 2015 3:42 PM in response to jaimebastidas

For the moment I think the best way to use playlists with audiobooks is to change the Media Kind of your playlist-audiobooks back to "Music" - then they should be in the Music app instead. I hope a future update will add playlists back into iBooks, but as far as I know that still hasn't happened with the Podcasts app, despite lots of complaints with the relative lack of playlist functionality in that app.

For me right now the Audiobooks-in-iBooks approach is working well for the "real" audiobooks - the 8-hour audiobooks bought from Audible or whatever. It's nice that there are finally chapters, and a sleep timer that doesn't require jumping into the Clock app! But iBooks is definitely not working for the giant numbers of audiobooks-born-as-podcasts that I've got. Somewhat ironically, those all became audiobooks because I don't like the way iTunes/Podcasts handles "Media Kind = Podcast" files. Now I guess I'm going to retag lots of them as "Media Kind = Music".

Jul 4, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Lost in Asia

The problem with just changing media type from "Audiobook" to "Music" is that you lose the capability of adjusting playback speed. I find lots of audiobooks are read very slowly, so usually listen at higher speed. So now as a result of the upgrade, I'm stuck with a choice between a nightmare trying to find the tracks I want, or going through audiobooks at half the speed I've done before.

Jul 4, 2015 9:27 AM in response to jaimebastidas

Here is what I did to get my playlists back....first open iTunes library, highlight a book or all books in a playlist, click "get info" Open "option tab",change from "audiobook to music, " check remember playback position ...click OK. Re-sync adding playlist. All audiobooks even audible books will appear in music app under playlist.

Jul 4, 2015 4:02 PM in response to jaimebastidas

I agree that you can change the tracks "media" back to "music" and then they will appear in a playlist under the Music app. However, this sacrifices the playback speed option and the possibility of skipping forward and back by 15 seconds.

A great workaround is to buy the $2.99 app Speed Up Player Pro. This somehow can still see the playlists of audiobooks in your library and you have magnificent control over the speed and navigation - much better than iOS every gave you! I hope Apple fixes this as a priority, but otherwise, we have a good alternative.

Jul 5, 2015 8:45 AM in response to jaimebastidas

For now, the most important entity on my phone are my audiobooks and I have just updated my iOS and realized that I have the same problem. Being inspired by some of the solutions offered above, I have explored the PERFECT SOLUTION to the problem, at least within what apple can provide.

The solution is to change the MEDIA KIND to PODCAST; you will be able to see the titles as well as play at the speed you want. You can highlight the whole audiobooks and change the media kind and not necessarily go through the hassle of doing it one-by-one.

I also want know if anyone has idea how one can rewind and fast-forward a track from head phones without necessarily touching the phone itself.

Jul 6, 2015 4:49 PM in response to Slyths

If you are talking about the headphones or earbuds that have the built in mic and phone answering buttons, then yes. Double-click-hold for fast forward. Triple-click-hold for rewind. The longer you hold, the faster the rewind or fast-forward goes.

Double-click-hold means click twice quickly but continue to hold the second click. click-cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Same idea for triple, just using three instead of two.

Jul 6, 2015 9:57 PM in response to Forcelee

this is the problem i am having. I have never bought audio books from itunes, all of mine are from audible or from books on cds i get from the library. The two books i had on my ipod transferred just fine with the upgrade but i can not sync any new audio books, when i check the on my device tab all the files are greyed out. it's like it wont sync anything not purchased from itunes.

Jul 7, 2015 1:37 AM in response to jaimebastidas

Even before the change to iBooks, as well as using playlists, I chose to RENAME my book titles, inasmuch as adding a prefix. So instead of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, I use HP1: Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone. This way the books stay in order in the title listing. It doesn't solve how to have them continually play, if that's why you used playlists, but if it was just to group books of a series, renaming them might help.

I only have a few of my audible books on my phone at the moment, so I don't know if this has also been effected, but I also use the "sorting" feature in the options. So all Autobiographies are first, then Biographies... Etc. I try and reduce series to just a few letters and a number

i hope this helps someone!

Jul 8, 2015 10:16 AM in response to jaimebastidas

@Stevlevin: I have tested it everyway possible and it actually manages everything fairly well. If you want to access the playlist, there is a button with 3 horizontal bars at the upper right hand corner. Try it and let me know if you have any difficulty.

@Crewmom: Thank you, I have even realized there are many more like: double clicking the play button = next track, triple click = backtrack.

Has anyone an idea a wireless headset that also has those features?

REGARDING SYNCing ONE'S OWN BOOK

I actually write my own audiobooks and convert to .m4b. and it sycs very well. The problem is about the text content which initially I was able to read as lyrics while listening (that was in iOS7 and not iOS8). I realized that the feature is still there in iTunes U but the major drawback of iTunes U is that one cannot rewind or fast-forward by 15 seconds. I even tried it like that but it never showed the text content. Has anyone any idea on how one can get one's way around this, even if it were another application that offers the feature?

I just can't understand Apple for the continuous deterioration of audiobooks application. The whole new audiobook application is a complete package of crap. Aside not showing tracks name, you can't also view other books or chapters that are not part of the that group, otherwise the one you are listening to, will stop. It just shows how stupid the programmers are for failing to test what millions of people could be using all across the globe.

Jul 21, 2015 6:10 AM in response to jaimebastidas

I agree with all the complaints above—and I even have a few more of my own—but I also have a solution that enables us to play audiobooks in iBooks and have the app play them in the right order.

You need to go to iTunes and, before transferring your audiobook files to the iPhone or iPod (if they're already on your iPhone or iPod, delete them and start from scratch), select all the audio files and hit command-I to get information. Make sure the media kind (under the "options" tab) is "Audiobook." Make sure the "Title" field is identical for all files (e.g., change them all to "Shakespeare on Silver Street"). iBooks will first sort by that title; if they're all identical, it will recognize that all those files are associated with the same audio book. Press "OK."

Now select the first audiobook file (e.g., "Shakespeare on Silver Street [Disc 01]"). The next thing iBooks sorts by is the track number, so you need to change all the track numbers to be in the right order. Change the first audiobook file's information to read "track 1 of 13" (for example); you can also change the disc number to "1 of 13," but iBooks seems to ignore that—at least, when I had those filled in correctly, it still played the files randomly.

Click on the next file button at the bottom of that window (it looks like a > shape). Change the next file's information to read "track 2 of [however many files there are]." Continue pressing > and changing the track information until you reach the last file. Press "OK."

When you drag your files to the iPhone or iPod now, they will be recognized by iBooks under the single title you gave them and the track listing in iBooks will be correct.

That should enable you to play the files in the right order in iBooks with the "15-second" forward and backward jumps and with the speed set the way you want it.

But it's a complete pain in the neck, and iBooks is still a terrible, terrible app. Here follows the additional complaints part of this post:

I suppose it was inevitable—ousting Podcasts from the iPhone Music app was one step.

Please, Apple, allow all media kinds to be played in the Music app. Allow users to choose where to listen to their audio files. That will enable playlists of podcasts and audiobooks for continual listening rather than having to start a new track at the end of every track. It will also allow mixed playlists of podcasts, audiobooks, and music. And it will allow smart playlists (for example, one continuing all unplayed podcasts or all unplayed audiobook files).

Come on, Apple. You used to simplify tasks; now you've multiplied tasks enormously.

Next year, I expect, they will release five separate apps for Opera, Country, Bluegrass, Alternative, and Pop. I, for one, can't wait.

Additionally, Apple seems to have turned off the ability to rate its apps. That's one way to raise customer satisfaction—take away the ability to express dissatisfaction!

—Bardfilm

Playlists for Audio Books in iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.