Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help, desktop shares to macbook without asking for password

HI,

I have a mac desktop and a macbook on my wifi network, using a Time capsule-base station.

On the macbook, under Network, I can see my desktop mac name.

When I select Connect to the desktop, it dies not ask me for a password, why not?

How do I get it to require a user/password?

The desktop has FileSharing/AFP enabled but only for me as the user.

The macbook connects automatically when I select the desktop in Network and it shows my home directory and the hard disk.

I have another, related, question: I also have Remote Management enabled on the desktop and again setup with only myselk as the user.

When I select Share Screen on the macbook (share desktop screen), it opens right up and provides control... WITHOUT ASKING FOR AUTHENTICATION.

HELP?

Thank you,

Betty R

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 6:08 AM

1 reply

Jul 1, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Betty Rogers

HI,

i seem to have fixed most of my issues with an os update.

i still have have an old 10.5.8 machine that shows up twice in my yosemite macbooks Sharing sidebar.

the machine shows up once in the list as the name i assigned the machine, the second occurance is listed as "insert_name-2.local".

i think it's "advertising" itself twice on the network? filesharing is enabled for AFP and incan't anywhere that Bonjour would be turned on...i see no Bonjour.

any ideas on how to get it down to listing itself once only?

thanks in advance,

Betty R

Please help, desktop shares to macbook without asking for password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.