Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone contacted malware

Hi

recently my friend sent me a voucher in whatsapp and it's the infamous malware disguised as vouchers (https://vulcanpost.com/293731/malware-7-eleven-voucher-whatsapp/). a bigger problem is, this malware has spread from my iphone to my ipad.

I have tried to reset my ipad to factory setting and setting it up as a new ipad. I have not connected it to icloud. but I am still unable to remove this malware from my ipad.

please help!

thanks!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4, ipad air, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 5:40 AM

14 replies

Jul 3, 2015 9:42 PM in response to james_del_rosario

james_del_rosario wrote:

stating that iphones and ipads cannot be infected does not help OP's situation and in fact deters helpful people from actually looking into it

Pretty sure it became news that there was a malware that DID manage to infect iphones just recently

There was a particular unicode character that, sent in a text message could cause problems. This was not malware. It was a bug in the iPhone's programing.

There are currently no known viruses that can infect an un-jailbroken iOS device.

Jul 4, 2015 12:36 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for the explanation Meg. I wasnt quite sure about the details of that unicode incident.

I dont believe there are any known viruses. But there not being malware in unjailbroken iphones in the form of apps doing malicious things like sending and taking information might be a little optimistic.

I posted another unrelated problem also in the forum with regard to another topic with pictures replicating and filling up my camera roll.

If its not malware then, must be some really bad programming

Jul 5, 2015 8:45 PM in response to HiImZech

Hi

I have more information regarding this malware. apparently it spreads over the network, and what it does is as you use safari on your apple devices it will finish loading the page you want to go, and then randomly seconds later redirects you to a series of pages and finally end up on an ad that probably leads to a pond (you know what I mean) site. all these happened after I misclicked on the 7-11 voucher link on whatsapp. I intended to delete it off my screen.

I have no such trouble on my other devices. I only use safari on my ipad and iphone.

iphone contacted malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.