Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no audiobook track title in iOS iBook ?!?!?

Dear all

With iOS 8.4, Audiobooks (m4b) moved from the "Music" App to "iBook" App.
Now I find that in iBook App the track title of audiobooks do not appear anymore, as in old "Music" App.

(I ripe my Audiobooks from CDs. every track of an Album has an individual title)

In iBook, the title of the tracks are just shown up as "Title" + number of the track.

Is this the same with you?

If yes, what is the idea of this?

How can I see the track title if my audiobooks again?

Tanks for Help

C.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 8.4, iBook Audiobook

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 12:50 PM

The "best" workaround was to change media type for all audiobooks to "music".

All audiobooks would be accessible with music.app again after a sync.

Music.app is still better aware of series and audiobooks than that ibooks.app.

After that, music and audiobooks are messed up again, but better findable than in ibooks.app.

I reached a point, where i decided for NO (bought and stored) MUSIC and so i use music.app for audiobooks only.

major.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 12:50 PM in response to The answer to live is 42

The "best" workaround was to change media type for all audiobooks to "music".

All audiobooks would be accessible with music.app again after a sync.

Music.app is still better aware of series and audiobooks than that ibooks.app.

After that, music and audiobooks are messed up again, but better findable than in ibooks.app.

I reached a point, where i decided for NO (bought and stored) MUSIC and so i use music.app for audiobooks only.

major.

Jul 2, 2015 11:17 AM in response to major67

Changing the audiobooks back to music is not a real solution IMHO. You get your titles back, but then you lose some important audiobook features that I rely on, including the skip forward/backward buttons and the speed adjustment.

There is really no reason for them to have missed this. There was nothing difficult about using the title instead of "Track X".

Jul 2, 2015 11:29 AM in response to Brock Freeman

I know that it is not a good workaround, but it works better that using ibooks.

i am trying a downgrade to 8.3 now. because there are other major issues like family sharing.

My second option is an alternative player like bookmobile Audiobook player.

Works good for me, but it's about 5€ extra for the full version.

Trial can use up to 2 Series (not removable in trial !).

8.4 is really disappointing and it is a shame for Apple's quality assurance processes again since iOS 7.1.

Jul 3, 2015 8:13 AM in response to The answer to live is 42

At least I see I am not the only one complaining about that !!!

It took me some time to find an alternative app that is at least doing what an audiobook player should do: Book Mower, the app is free to download, but have to pay 4.-- for the capacity to add more that two books... The interface is a bit strange, but we can see the chapter's title, moving fowrad and backward (seconds or minutes) and set the speed.

Just fed up of software developers pushing on the market, application that are not ready ! Apple are not alone in this game...

Jul 15, 2015 9:01 PM in response to The answer to live is 42

Bookmobile doesn't show track titles either...

Although it is probably true that the majority of users consume

and then dispose of their content (like tv shows or podcasts). Also

probably true most people do not want the hassle of managing

their content libraries...

There are many of us who devote a lot of time into collecting, organising,

creating (making our own audiobooks from CDs with Audiobook builder) content

and have extensive libraries.

Apple really needs to take these users into consideration also when making updates-- especially

when creating a new method of management (i.e. moving PDFs & audiobooks from iTunes -> iBooks).

We have invested innumerable hours believing in your ecosystem. What does it say when the

first generations of iPad worked better and displayed information much more logically than the latest

generation many years later. I am talking not just about the present audiobooks "upgrade" but

also how all metadata was stripped from my massive library of PDFs and suddenly moved to the

inferior iBooks.

At the very least, Apple needs to INFORM users that an iOS or Mac update will significantly change

the way content will be stored, displayed, managed, or played in the future. You really can't just ignore

the time and money a user invested in creating/acquiring/labelling/organizing content believing in your

ecosystem.

Bottom line: true, you are free to innovate and change your products; even take away features

you think the majority do not care about... However, you need to let your trusting longtime users know

when you are about to make a major shift... Give me fair warning that seemingly innocuous "update"

will mess with the way my content/library will work in the newest apple OS.

It doesn't seem apple really has devoted much thought or care or resources to iBooks and it's a shame...

As that is very different from the meticulous, intuitive, complexity-buried-beneath-a-simple veneer Apple

philosophy I have always loved... I really can't imagine they would do the same for something like a photo app

as there would be an extreme backlash... Now I am stuck with a sleek simple-looking, feature-lacking, bug-ridden,

illogically music-playeresque but functionally very different APP.

PLEASE REINSTATE AT LEAST THE OPTION IN SETTINGS TO DISPLAY TRACK TITLES IN AUDIOBOOKS...

I bet it would take your great team less than a day...

Jul 16, 2015 12:06 AM in response to John-Francis Kinsler

HI John-Francis,

Just happy to read your comment, I think we are sharing the frustration ! The new music app is a mess, I just installed alternatives for music and audio book players.

Give a try at "Book Mower" it shows tracks names in audio books, I don't really like the interface but at least it works....

To play music, I use "ecoute" which is far better/simpler that the apple app.

i Hope this will help :-)

no audiobook track title in iOS iBook ?!?!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.