Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC OS X Mavericks - Interpol Virus

Hello

Today I had clicked a bad hyperlink and got the Interpol Virus which asked me to pay 100 euros to remove the pop up. I haven't done this because I have met the Ukash Virus, 2 years ago on my pc. After I pulled my cable out of my computer. I restarted my computer and the pop up was still there. Then I have clicked many buttons to find a way to remove it. Finally after I clicked Force Quit a few times, it wonderfully disappeared!

But now my main consern is, is this virus is completely gone?! I don't trust it anymore, even if I found out on several websites that force quiting was the right thing. I need more reassurance than that.

My second question is, is there a way to find malware/ransomware on Mac? I find out you can see some things on Activity processes and on the Console application. Is there also a way to find out viruses with Terminal?

Can someone help me, either to reassure me or/and answer my second question?

It would be very very helpfull

Thank you for reading this

PS sorry for my bad English, if you don't understand me so well, my main language isn't English ;-)

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 6:34 AM

2 replies

Jul 1, 2015 6:45 AM in response to Mac_Quest

That was a scam. Unless you allowed someone remote access to your computer, you shouldn't have anything to be concerned about. If you get another popup like that again, quit Safari, and reopen holding down the Shift key. If that doesn't solve the problem, force quit Safari again, disconnect from the Internet, and then reopen Safari with the Shift key held down. Then connect to the Internet.

It is highly doubtful you have a virus installed.

MAC OS X Mavericks - Interpol Virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.