Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update 8.4 on iPad

With this update 8.4, in addition to Apple Music, which I am not going to sign up for, all my iTunes music is playable on the iPad, but there are 0 songs in the iPad memory. Does it get the song data over Wi-Fi? What if I take the iPad away from my home Wi-Fi?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:20 AM

6 replies

Jul 1, 2015 7:30 AM in response to Robin Reed1

I Don't understand what you are saying. I'm not using the Apple Music or iTunes Match and I have no plans to use them at all ever. All of my synced or downloaded music is still on my iPad after I updated to iOS 8.4. Are you saying that your music is gone? You said 0 songs in the storage settings? No songs in the Music app? Synced music does not get data over WiFi, it is already on the iPad. The new service will stream the music to the iPad and you need a connection to the Internet for that to work.

Jul 1, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Robin Reed1

IF you don't know what iTune Match is, then you need not worry about that being a conflict. If you want to know more, read this.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

If you don't have music on the iPad, but you are able to play it, then you must be using Home Sharing. Home sharing allows you to connect to your iTunes library from your iPad over Wifi and you can play songs, movies TV shows, etc from iTunes on your Mac.

Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices on your home network - Apple Support

I'm still a little confused....

I was just wondering how that works. What is iTunes Match?

Wondering about how what works? Apple Music? If so, it is a streaming music service like Pandora radio. That's the short and to the point answer. Log onto Apple's home page and you can read all about Apple Music.

IF you are asking about something else, I still need more details. I'm sorry.

Jul 1, 2015 1:19 PM in response to Demo

Further investigation reveals that it's not Home Sharing, which I never set up. In the new Music app, if you tap on "Artists" you get a menu with Artists, Albums, Songs, Genres, and Composers. At the bottom of the menu is "Show iTunes Purchases" with a slider switch to turn that feature on and off. When I turned it off the iTunes music went away. Most of my music in iTunes was ripped from CDs, so that music didn't appear.

Update 8.4 on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.