Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proper way to set up family sharing for Apple Music

Has anyone been able to correctly set up family sharing on apple music and could share their experience? My family, wife and 2 kids, each have our own apple device and icloud account. I've set up family sharing as the organizer, wife as parent, and kids with "ask to buy." I have a separate iTunes account that I've used to make purchases and that's the one I use under the "iTunes & app store" setting as well as "family purchases" under icloud family. When I signed up for the 3 month trial under the organizer account, I thought my wife and kids would automatically be registered for apple music but it asked them to sign up for a trial as well. Currently I have all 5 accounts signed up for the free trial (4 icloud accounts + 1 iTunes account) but i'm not sure how to link them together.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:37 AM

Hi, I had that problem myself. What you need to do is this:

As the family organizer go to the main Settings --> iCloud --> Manage Family (either on your Mac or on your iOS device) than switch OFF the “Share my purchases”, wait a few seconds than switch it ON again.

Now on the device of the family member check the Music preferences and enable “iCloud Music Library” (on the Mac in iTunes, on an iOS device in the main settings app).

Enjoy!

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 11:37 AM in response to tvpham80

Hi, I had that problem myself. What you need to do is this:

As the family organizer go to the main Settings --> iCloud --> Manage Family (either on your Mac or on your iOS device) than switch OFF the “Share my purchases”, wait a few seconds than switch it ON again.

Now on the device of the family member check the Music preferences and enable “iCloud Music Library” (on the Mac in iTunes, on an iOS device in the main settings app).

Enjoy!

Jul 2, 2015 9:45 PM in response to tvpham80

Yes, that is exactly our setup. Five Apple IDs: two for me (one for iCloud, one for iTunes/App Store/iBooks) and one (combined iCloud and iTunes) each for the other family members. Family sharing is set up with my iCloud ID as family organizer, and my iTunes ID as the Apple Music family account.

Jul 4, 2015 7:43 AM in response to narya

Thanks so much for sharing……I've been trying to figure out the proper configuration also.

My remaining question…. does this set up allow ME to listening to my choice on Apple Music on my device……My daughter can simultaneously listen to HER choice of music on her device, and my son can listen to HIS choice of music on his device….? All potentially at the same time?

Jul 4, 2015 8:05 AM in response to BuePod

Here's where I have the problem. I am the organizer and I have one Apple ID for everything. I set up sharing and turned it on. My wife has her own Apple iD. When I have her I'd signed into the store then it won't work. If I sign in under mine it will work. I am talking about her phone and line is always under my id. I have the family share plan and all that. Confusing as I though she could sign into the store under her name and it still work because she is in the faMily. That stinks!

Proper way to set up family sharing for Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.