Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to put Open DNS on my Time Capsule router and it is not working. I know how to use the airport utilities and know the ip information. I am running Yosemite 10.10.3 and my router is updated. Help please. I tried all the open DNS solutio

I am trying to put Open DNS on my Time Capsule router and it is not working. I know how to use the airport utilities and know the ip information. I am running Yosemite 10.10.3 and my router is updated. Help please. I tried all the open DNS solutions. Every time I test it I get the oops popup. My Time Capsule is version 7.6.4, the internet is set to DHCP with 208.67.222.123 and the secondary in the correct locations. I also tried Static instead of DHCP same Oops popup appears.

Imac, powerbook, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:32 AM

8 replies

Jul 1, 2015 3:55 PM in response to crickchick

My feeling having gone through a lot of messing with the Airport was that when you set WAN to DHCP.. you had no choice but to accept the ISP DNS values... only in static could make it accept my own settings.. I will double check.. but I think you are going to find it does not work at the router level. And you cannot use Static IP with standard cable modem service.. for example.

What modem are you using??

What actual make and model is the TC? From the base tell us the A1xxx model.

Jul 2, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you Bob. I did update and I still get the error message from Open DNS when I use the test button "Oop. You're not using Open DNS yet. My Time Capsule Model number is A1355. Using Airport utility. Under Internet tab: Using DHCP with DNS servers 208.67.222.123 and the other 208.67.220.123 all else is blank. Wireless Security tab: WPA2 Personal and no Guest Network. Under Network Tab: Router Mode- off Bridge Mode.

Thanks for any help.

Jul 2, 2015 10:39 AM in response to crickchick

and I still get the error message from Open DNS when I use the test button "Oop. You're not using Open DNS yet

Ah, OK. I thought that you were seeing an Apple message on screen.

You will need to check with Open DNS for answers on that. It is also possible that your Internet Service Provider wants you to use the DNS servers that they provide, Check with your ISP on that possibility.

If you have entered in the DNS server number that you want to use in AirPort Utility......like the example below......then the work of the AirPort router is done. I just ran a quick check and no problem running a test using the DNS values that you see below.

Something else is likely preventing the use of those servers if they are not being used. What that might be, I cannot say.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jul 2, 2015 1:00 PM in response to crickchick

Is it possible that you have another router there in addition to the Time Capsule? You might call this device your "modem" but most modems provided by Internet Service Providers are in fact modem/routers, also known as gateways

If that might be the case, then you will also need to input the DNS information into the modem/router that you have.

If you are not sure, post back with the make and model number of the "modem" and we'll check to see exactly what you do have.

I am trying to put Open DNS on my Time Capsule router and it is not working. I know how to use the airport utilities and know the ip information. I am running Yosemite 10.10.3 and my router is updated. Help please. I tried all the open DNS solutio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.