Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked out of the AppStore due to a Greek credit card

Greek credit cards cannot be used for payments outside of Greece at the moment. I get that. When I try to change countries and use one of my foreign credit cards I get this:

User uploaded file

It then insists that I enter a Greek credit card to settle that "open purchase". This is a Catch-22 situation. It means I am locked out of the AppStore both on my Mac and iPhone. How to resolve this? I have foreign credit cards I can use.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 6:59 AM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2015 10:34 AM in response to Dimitris-T

You may only use credit cards for countries in which you are a legal resident, it must be issued by a bank in that country and have a verifiable billing address in that same country.

Your account can only be associated with one country at a time. Your account is associated with Greece, it is in a default with a purchases from the Greek store and can only be cleared up by iTunes/Mac App Store Customer Service for the Greek store(s). You cannot use credit cards issued by banks in other countries in the Greek iTunes/Mac App Store(s).

Jul 14, 2015 10:28 PM in response to Dah•veed

Thank you very much for the response. Unfortunately, this is valid for an older version of iTunes. When I click on 'Redeem', it first asks me to log in and then takes me to the redeem code entering screen. Nothing to do with the (most helpful) post of mountaigoatgirl.

As things are now, about 7.000 people in this country, either on Macs or iPhones have this problem. I myself am switching to an Android phone IMMEDIATELY since I use portable connectivity a lot with the bookings in our hotel. Cannot wait for a solution whenever the engineers receive the 'order' from the economists...

Jul 20, 2015 12:08 AM in response to Dah•veed

I read your post and went to buy a 25 euro iTunes gift card to find myself trapped in the following situation:

immediately my credit amount dropped to 23.01, propably because of an inApp purchase that could not have been completed during the lockout of Greek credit cards and my updates started to work again.

However even though I have all the 23.01 there I am not able to purchase anything, not even free apps because the system keeps asking for a "Verification of my credit card details"! What is the point of having a credit in the Appstore if the system blocks you from using it?

I am completely dissapointed about this...

At least I hope that when the date comes that Apple would like to have its money for my iCloud space, it will retrieve from my credit amount and I won't have to lose all my photos etc...

Locked out of the AppStore due to a Greek credit card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.