Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 4001 error

I'm using iTunes 12.2 and Apple Music. When I check "iCloud library" in Preferences, iTunes starts syncing my library. After a long wait, a message such as "Genius results can't be updated right now. Unknown error 4001" appeared. I updated Genius. I deauthorized and re-authorized my computer. The problem persists.

I have 45,500 local music files. Maybe it is a problem with a possible limit of 25,0000 local tracks for apple music (as itunes match)?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:38 AM

13 replies

Jul 5, 2015 1:01 PM in response to jairofsouza

Yes, same here.

One question I have is, why does Apple Music rely on Genius or the same mechanism as Genius?

I for one do not appreciate "Genius" (ironic quotes) results and I would rather keep that option disabled within iTunes.

Why would Apple Music have to force iTunes users to enable Genius? It is a design flaw to not treat them as independent functionalities. If iTunes Match can exist independent of Apple Music, then why can Genius also not be independent?

If there are inherent flaws in Genius where it cannot handle a lot of tracks or duplicates, then why have it as a dependent process...?

In my view, Apple should just be simply uploading the equivalent of the iTunes Library*.* files and then processing them with algorithms based in the cloud, or offline. Why make the library integration more process more complicated than that for those who spend a lot of time organizing and rating songs within iTunes?

I represent the significant minority who have amassed a lot of music over the years. I've created hundreds of playlists and have > 80K tracks. To me, I would probably like to hear 80% of my own music and surf for 20% of unowned music. Apple Music seems to assume that most people have < 10 tracks personally and would be searching and playing from their library extensively (the reverse of the users with an extensive personal library use case).

So, the value of Apple Music, to me, is so I can access my/our playlists from all our apple devices and then add music (mine or apple library based) to those established playlists, probably more than creating new playlists. Unless this kind of 2-way replica updating can be done seamlessly and painlessly, I do not see Apple music going beyond the purchasing tipping point. Without adequate and reliable iTunes performance, the synergy between home and cloud cannot be achieved.

If this basic functionality is not resolved at the end of my 90-day trial, then farewell Apple Music.

Jul 5, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Amok_Zamboni

Are you seeing an option to Turn Off Genius under Menu > Account? (I am not because it's already off.)

I would definitely hit that, and for good measure go to the folder Music/iTunes and delete the file "iTunes Library Genius.itdb" which apparently gets corrupted when these kinds of error occur.

I've got a 70K-song collection that I've been nurturing along since iTunes 1.0, and I live in daily anxiety that some fresh and innovative bug is going to lay waste to years of work and, dare I say, love. As Amok_Zamboni says, we are a significant minority. I don't think Apple is going to abandon us, but I do feel like we get overlooked now and then in the quest for new revenue streams, younger users, et alia.

Jul 5, 2015 3:07 PM in response to richard grant

Hi and Thanks Richard,

I tried your suggestion:

1. Shutdown iTunes 12.2.0.145
  2. Moved iTunes Library Genius.itdb file to trash and emptied trash.
  3. Started iTunes
  4. Saw that iTunes Library Genius.itdb file was immediately created (size 33K) even though, when checking, I have Genius turned off.
  5. Went to Preferences, saw that iCloud Music Library was unchecked.
  6. Checked iCloud Music Library.
  7. Genius was enabled subsequently while The Activity status screen said it was "Gathering information about your iTunes Library". This didn't take very long and was followed by "Waiting for Apple to deliver your iCloud Music Library" and the spinning loop arrow and occasionally some temp files appearing and disappearing.
  8. Spinning occurred for approximately 25 minutes followed by the same 4010 error message I have gotten in the past.
  9. After that, iTunes presents a dialog saying it is Deleting Genius Results. Under the Account menu, Turn On Genius is present and under Preferences, iCloud Music Library (my email address) is unchecked. iTunes Library Genius.it files remains and is the same size as when it was created (33K).

So, based on my observations, it is very clear that Genius is being turned on when the iCloud Music Library preference option is checked. Again, why? The error message also explicitly refers to Genius: "Genius results can't be updated right now. An unknown error occurred (4010)." Again, I did not turn Genius on, it was turned on automatically by the iTunes in order to build the iCloud Music Library. Also, in reverse, when I have turned Genius off, the iCloud Music Library option in Preferences becomes unchecked. It also looks like if Genius cannot handle my large library, then that is also an obstacle to uploading my library to iCloud and Apple Music.

Like you, I also hope Apple does the right thing to an focuses on true and reliable iTunes / Apple Music integration. Like you, I have worried about how every incarnation of iTunes could possibly affect the effort put into it. There are some very wonderful things about iTunes that I don't see anywhere else and I want to continue to use it as my primary music and media organization tool. With Apple Music, I hope things like ratings available and more seamless (for example, rating on my iPad gets passed to my home Mac and vice-versa), transparent addition to smart playlists, etc. I remember at one time even the AppleTV let you make a song rating, but now it does not. Why? It is the perfect transparent synching and functionality with iTunes that I have long awaited for.

Also, btw, I do not have iTunes Match enabled but I did a while back... Is Apple Music / iCloud Music Library using the same mechanisms? I thought I read that it was not and that you could choose to use iTunes Match or not.

Hoping for the best...

Apple, can you chime in?

Jul 7, 2015 5:19 PM in response to jairofsouza

Same problem here in Germany, I have 27k songs in my library and it stresses me to download every little song from Apple Music to my iPhone, I know how to do it manually, but this is too elaborate for me every time. 😐

I just want MY music on my iPhone and as extra the music from Apple ... and it should be not that time consuming. Hope the limit will increase within the next few weeks.

( Hope you get what I want to write 😉 )

Jul 8, 2015 9:17 AM in response to jairofsouza

The thread title says "4001" is the error. Do you mean "4010" ? That's what I've been getting for a few days now.

I can tell you a few things that haven't helped. With repeated calls to Apple, we have:

Trying while booted into "safe" mode by holding the left shift key.

Dragged iTunes to the trash and reinstalled from the iTunes 12.2 DMG downloaded from Apple's main iTunes site.

Exported my library and created a new one, imported all my old content then tried turning it back on again.

Restored my system from a Time Machine backup from before the problem started and re-performed the iTunes 12.2 upgrade.

Reinstalled OS X completely.

The only thing that works is completely erasing my iTunes library, turning on cloud support in a new iTunes library, then adding my old files back in. But the next time I sign out of the iTunes store or iTunes crashes, I'm back to getting 4010 again.

Jul 10, 2015 4:16 AM in response to McGroarty

Yes, I'm getting the 4001, not the 4010.

I've called them and they just said that my library is too big and the limit is 25k files for the library. And that I'm the only one with this problem ... I should wait till the 100k files are possible. 😐

I'm not happy, but what can I do ? I tried your list and nothing worked.

Jul 10, 2015 5:04 AM in response to Amok_Zamboni

The 25k limit is stupid and annoying -- and should have been changed longed before now -- but it's hardly a deal breaker for Apple Music. It's a feature that would help Apple distinguish its streaming service from Spotify. I trust Eddy Cue will keep his promise to bump it up to a more reasonable 100k limit before anyone has to pay for the service.

Jul 13, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Mark Block

If it makes you guys feel any better, I’m just under the 25,000 limit in my iTunes library, and with 12.2.1.16 for Mac I’m having the same problems with the whole never-ending, never-completed Genius updating / "Gathering information about your iTunes library” process. It goes and goes and never completes and the next time I open iTunes the enable iCloud Music Library box in Preferences is unchecked and I have to start all over again.

This failure also seems to be crippling my ability to add albums and songs to My Music or download music for offline listening on my iPhone and iPad.

What a hairball of FUD!

iTunes 12.2 4001 error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.