Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Music Library for large libraries (48k songs)

I would like to be able to create playlists of Apple Music songs within iTunes, but am running into problems.

I have a fairly large library of 48,000 songs in iTunes 12.2. Enabling iCloud Music Library worked fine on my iPhone 6 with iOS 8.4 that contains 4500 songs, but on iTunes I keep getting an error: "Genius results can't be updated right now" with error code 4001. This means that I (1) cannot add Apple Music songs to my music library or playlists via iTunes and (2) cannot sync my regular playlists to my phone. I had to solve (2) by disabling iCloud Music Library on iTunes and iPhone. Any help would be welcome! 🙂

PC-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 9:01 AM

Apple Music is currently limited to 25,000 songs, but it looks like Apple are planning to increase the limit to 100,000 with the release of iOS 9.

tt2

7 replies

Jul 1, 2015 9:15 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks! But that's the limit for iTunes Match right? What exactly is iCloud Music Library? Does it actually upload your library to the cloud for syncing or is it a more basic system that just syncs new additions, playlists without storing them permanently? If it uploads it, that's actually quite a hefty service to be offering for free and I'd understand the limit. However, I'd be quite surprised that they'd unnecessarily collect everyone's libraries just to make playlisting possible - especially given that it makes Apple Music mostly unusable for anyone with a 25k+ library!

Jul 1, 2015 9:31 AM in response to JamesLomas

I'm still testing, but it seems to be similar to iTunes Match (which I don't have for similar reasons to you). I think unique tracks may also be uploaded but I haven't been able to confirm yet. Other content is matched in a similar fashion to iTunes Match. The difference is that anything downloaded comes with DRM, even if you uploaded a DRM free copy, presumably so it can be turned off if you decide to quit your subscription. On the plus side if you have an active subscription you can stream or download for offline use any one of over 30 million tracks.

tt2

Jul 2, 2015 3:26 AM in response to JamesLomas

I just got off the phone with iTunes support and indeed there is a limit of 25,000 songs. Why it doesn't just tell you that, I don't know. From iOS 9, which should be out within 2 months, the limit will be increased to 100,000 and we will be able to use iCloud Music Library to integrate Apple Music and our iTunes libraries. Unfortunately it's not possible to delay the trial to get the full 3 months out of it. We'll just have to use the remainder of September to trial it properly.

iCloud Music Library for large libraries (48k songs)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.