Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Specific problem activating iMessage and Facetime

I live in Argentina, where we can switch carriers at will.

Apparently, if you switch carriers, there's an SMS provider that is unable to send SMS to your phone, I know this because we use it in the company I work for. Mercado Libre is another company from which I cannot receive an activation SMS.

I know that when you turn iMessage and Facetime on, your phone sends an SMS to a number in the UK (447537410237), however, I seem to be unable to get the response.

Is Apple aware of this problem? I purchased an iWatch and am unable to send gestures and heartbeats because of this problem, that I understand may not affect to a lot of people, but it's annoying nonetheless.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:14 AM

2 replies

Jul 1, 2015 8:43 AM in response to juanformoso

iMessage and FaceTime use SMS messaging to contact the Apple activation servers in the UK. If you're using a supported carrier, and your account is properly provisioned for an iPhone, this should work without issues.

If you are using an unsupported carrier, you'll need to take it up with them. If they don't allow the messages to process properly, activation will fail.

If you're using a supported carrier and it's not working, contact them and make sure your account is properly provisioned for an iPhone.

Specific problem activating iMessage and Facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.