Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect: How to Find and "follow" artists

There seems to be a disconnect between "Connect" and any way to find and follow artists. These seems to be no way to search the Connect portion of iTunes/Mac and looking at an artists information in the iTunes store doesn't offer a means to follow. Am I missing something obvious here or is this really a case of a "feature" being stuck onto iTunes without any real integration in it?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 2:06 AM

I've been experimenting with this and I think I have a theory. Apple Music and the iTunes Store are probably separate components–that can be discussed somewhere else. However, like you, I've searched for artists on the iTunes Store and could not find a "Follow" button on their profiles. However, if you choose one of the Apple Music related tabs on iTunes on your Mac (For You and New in particular), then use the search field on iTunes, you'll a list of results for that artist in that section's tab and if you click on the Artist's name, you'll get a slightly different looking biography page than the iTunes Store and on the top there'll be a Follow button. I've tried searching for the same artists both on the iTunes Store tab and the New tab and have found this disparity to be true. So, if you want to find a band or artist to follow, search on one of those Apple Music related tabs. Also, if they're actually active on Connect, there should be a Connect tab beneath the artist's banner next to My Music (if they're in your Library) and All.

You can also Follow and Unfollow artists by setting your My Music view mode to Artists, then select whatever artists you have listed on the left hand column. The same Apple Music bios will come up and if it's available (not all artists seem to be follow-able), that button will be there.

Now Apple, you need to make Connect Management a lot more intuitive than this. How about an "Unfollow this artist" option on the Connect screen next to the artist's name? Also, I read here: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2944213/apple-ios/14-more-apple-music-tips. html there's a way to manage who you're Following on iOS by choosing Account, but why is there no such option for iTunes on the Mac? Please bring this feature to OS X.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 2:06 AM in response to LDMartin1959.me

I've been experimenting with this and I think I have a theory. Apple Music and the iTunes Store are probably separate components–that can be discussed somewhere else. However, like you, I've searched for artists on the iTunes Store and could not find a "Follow" button on their profiles. However, if you choose one of the Apple Music related tabs on iTunes on your Mac (For You and New in particular), then use the search field on iTunes, you'll a list of results for that artist in that section's tab and if you click on the Artist's name, you'll get a slightly different looking biography page than the iTunes Store and on the top there'll be a Follow button. I've tried searching for the same artists both on the iTunes Store tab and the New tab and have found this disparity to be true. So, if you want to find a band or artist to follow, search on one of those Apple Music related tabs. Also, if they're actually active on Connect, there should be a Connect tab beneath the artist's banner next to My Music (if they're in your Library) and All.

You can also Follow and Unfollow artists by setting your My Music view mode to Artists, then select whatever artists you have listed on the left hand column. The same Apple Music bios will come up and if it's available (not all artists seem to be follow-able), that button will be there.

Now Apple, you need to make Connect Management a lot more intuitive than this. How about an "Unfollow this artist" option on the Connect screen next to the artist's name? Also, I read here: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2944213/apple-ios/14-more-apple-music-tips. html there's a way to manage who you're Following on iOS by choosing Account, but why is there no such option for iTunes on the Mac? Please bring this feature to OS X.

Jul 17, 2015 7:59 AM in response to williamfrommaryburgh

williamfrommaryburgh wrote:

I have managed to set up Apple music on iphone and ipad but not on my imac-any help would be appreciated-thanks.

I can't give you a good answer other than to say, go to the radio 'tab' and select 'listen now' in the top "beats1" banner. Beyond that I have no good advise. I tried the original beats once for about 30 minutes and I found it a confusing mess; I find the Apple implementation no better. I'm gonna stick with Pandora for now and wait to see if Apple can max Beats1 usable.

Connect: How to Find and "follow" artists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.