Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes won't open because library file created by newer version

an update failed for iTunes today, and now when I try to open iTunes, I get the message "iTunes library itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Can I delete the itl file that was created today during the update and get iTunes to restart?

iOS 8.1

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 9:35 AM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2015 4:50 AM in response to turingtest2

thank you for the link, but unfortunately, none of the suggestions worked. I did find that after the update yesterday, I found another folder called iTunes 1, and the contents were just like the iTunes folder. I deleted it (probably wrong) and now I get the message when I shift+click "no recent search matches iTunes Library found". Then when I click OK on that warning, the next warning says "an error occurred while connecting to the to the shared library "%S". The server could not be found or is not responding" (and yes the repeat on "to the" was in the message), It also gave me the option to "download" or "upgrade" and when I click either of them, a popup says the iTunes update serer could not be contacted. I have internet connection because I'm on here as I am trying all of this again.

SO - I've copied all of my media, previous libraries and such to a stick. can I uninstall and reinstall iTunes and somehow get my stuff back in it? where do I go from here?

Jul 2, 2015 6:58 AM in response to demenzes

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes can repair issues with the application, but not the library. It may well be that in your case a previous failure caused you to start using files in an iTunes 1 folder instead of the usual iTunes folder in User's Music. Deleting anything when you don't fully understand what it is should be avoided. The steps I recommend are non-destructive since I don't recommend deleting anything, but rather renaming and copying. You can shift-start-iTunes to connect to a library file if you're not sure which one is active, but ideally you will end up connected to one in your main iTunes folder rather than one inside Previous iTunes Libraries. (I've seen people nest three levels of these folders!)

If you cannot locate a working .itl file from those that you have then you can start a fresh library, import your content, and see the user tip Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device for further advice.

tt2

itunes won't open because library file created by newer version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.