Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vertical stripes on screen?

Hi there, I have a 17 inch late-2011 MacBook Pro and as of today, the laptop has started to crash randomly whenever I open an image. Hopefully it stays up long enough for me to post this.

I ran the Apple Hardware Test. First I ran the quick test and then the comprehensive one. Both says no faults found yet if I can post the pictures, I will show you what I see.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

During the comprehensive test, this screen flashed up during the logic board test.

Now I understand Apple did a recall of MacBooks manufactured then according to this URL.

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

So am I entitled to a free repair? Are there any further tests I can run or any way to sort this issue out? Many thanks for your assistance.

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 1:30 PM

TheMightyJLP wrote:

So am I entitled to a free repair? Are there any further tests I can run or any way to sort this issue out? Many thanks for your assistance.

You probably are entitled to a free repair. I would bring it in for an evaluation at an Apple store regardless if I had an appointment or not.

Ciao.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 1:30 PM in response to TheMightyJLP

TheMightyJLP wrote:

You probably are entitled to a free repair. I would bring it in for an evaluation at an Apple store regardless if I had an appointment or not.

Ciao.

Jul 2, 2015 1:40 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Well that was a rather unproductive day being a self-employed person working at home. I wake up first thing to a Mac that won’t even boot. Having booted into recovery mode, I fixed disk permissions and then the Mac failed to login.

User uploaded file

I had to eventually reinstall Yosemite but obviously all of the above took from first thing this morning well into the early evening.

User uploaded file

Apple being the sort of company that sells you nice expensive stuff and then forgets about you decided to not pick the phone up. Oh they gave me a case ID, they gave me a number and being on the phone waiting for a rather long time when 7:45pm came up, the phone went dead. I never knew that if someone was waiting for ages that the phone would cut off the second closing time approached. Charming company.

On top of that, I live in London which is a fairly populous place with numerous Apple stores yet not a single Apple store has ANY appointments available to visit the Genius Bar. That’s right, despite the claims to have 120 geniuses per shop each seeing 30 people per day and with London having a fair few stores, they haven’t got any appointments ever for me to go there.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

This simply tells me Apple is becoming even more unreliable. How many of you would go out and buy a new Mac now? It used to be people in droves heading from Windows to Mac but that is no longer the case. Why spend 2 grand on a decent laptop when one half the price is faster and in the case of Linux/BSD, infinitely more secure and reliable.

So what else can I do besides go there with no appointment and simply refuse to leave until someone speaks to me. Clearly the phone and appointment system will never work.

In short, if you work for yourself or rely on your laptop, please don't purchase an Apple product. I moved away from the iPhone earlier this year when the battery decided to melt the back of the screen. Apple refused to fix that too despite being fairly new. I ended up buying a One Plus One which is 1/3 of the price of the latest rebadged product Apple pushes out annually and guess what, it is faster, has more RAM, more open to use, more stable, better camera, better processor and 64gb of space. All for 1/3 of the price.

I think that's the way my new laptop will be too because I quite simply have had enough. All that is left now is to see the outcome of my visit tomorrow if they bother to even see me and see what they can do with the very last MacBook I will ever own.

Vertical stripes on screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.