Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't complete start - System uptime in nanoseconds: then restarts

MY macbook pro cant complete its startup:

the startup sound occurs

then goes to the grey Apple screen

then the below text appears before is restarts and does the same thing.

please help?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 9:10 AM

3 replies

Jul 1, 2015 9:26 AM in response to Brucewiggles

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Jul 2, 2015 12:39 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc

when I try "restore"/backup my startup disk to my external drive (using disk utility) it gives the following issue:

"recovery partition restores can only be done on GPT partition maps"?

i Have formatted the disk to mac os extended (journalEd)

anything else else I can try, or should I just hope the reinstalling of OS-x goes well and I don't lose anything?

Jul 2, 2015 6:07 AM in response to Brucewiggles

If you care about the safety of your data, and you don't already have a current backup of everything you want to preserve, then you should do nothing else until you've backed up.

You should be able to back up to a disk image on the external drive. Otherwise, it will have to be repartitioned in GUID (GPT) format. That operation removes all data, so that data will also have to be backed up to another device if it hasn't been already.

MacBook Pro won't complete start - System uptime in nanoseconds: then restarts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.