Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uploaded and Matched songs now have DRM after Apple Music trial.

I activated the Apple Music trial and I still have an iTunes Match subscription. Now if I imported any song that gets "Matched" or "Uploaded" and I re-download it, it gets download with DRM. Even the "Uploaded" songs have DRM!

It looks like Apple Music is overriding iTunes Match since they both have matching.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 9:46 AM

9 replies

Jul 1, 2015 2:59 PM in response to LocutusEstBorg

This whole DRM issue evolves around the Apple Music

Service. Long story short, it's their way of controlling the

playing field of "Music Rental". Should you cancel the new

Apple Music Service, your not entitled to keep anything you

Downloaded. Hence the new term, Off-Line listening. Your

Leasing the rights to listen to music at $9.99/month, not

purchasing it. Thus, the DRM issue pertains to the music

rights of which your entitled to providing you continue the

service. Nobody ever mentioned owning the music at $9.99

per month.

Jul 2, 2015 1:10 AM in response to LocutusEstBorg

I am an iTunes Match subscriber.

I also tried the new Apple Music and listened to one Apple Playlist and decided it was not for me.

Checking in iTunes, tracks that were in my Music Library that were played in the playlist have had their iCloud Status changed to Apple Music, why??

Apple have really screwed this up, playing your own tracks should not make them subject to DRM.

I can see why Apple are doing this for tracks that are not part of your Library, but come on, I've paid for my music once.

Jul 2, 2015 5:30 AM in response to Ned the Nerd

I'm an iTunes Match subscriber as well and most the frustration was just dealing with the change which is

never easy at first. I'm fine with it now and feel Apple did a good job as there really isn't another way to do

it now that I think about it. Sure it seems bogus that your personal music is now DRM and under Apples

umbrella but it really isn't. I see it that way for the duration that I use the service. Should I discontinue

Apple Music at anytime, I'm back on the iTunes Match plan thereby enabling the full download capability of

my library. And for those who don't have iTunes Match and decide to opt out of the new Apple Music Service,

they were never entitled to keep the music in the first place. I guess we will adapt in time. It's nothing that a

minor software update can't fix. I'm certainly enjoying the new user interface which is a big improvement.

Jul 2, 2015 2:20 PM in response to Brskiz

"I'm an iTunes Match subscriber as well and most the frustration was just dealing with the change which is

never easy at first. I'm fine with it now and feel Apple did a good job as there really isn't another way to do

it now that I think about it. Sure it seems bogus that your personal music is now DRM and under Apples

umbrella but it really isn't. I see it that way for the duration that I use the service. Should I discontinue

Apple Music at anytime, I'm back on the iTunes Match plan thereby enabling the full download capability of

my library. And for those who don't have iTunes Match and decide to opt out of the new Apple Music Service,

they were never entitled to keep the music in the first place. I guess we will adapt in time. It's nothing that a

minor software update can't fix. I'm certainly enjoying the new user interface which is a big improvement."

Can you explain why you think there is no other way to do it? I'm still not getting it why tracks that I have already purchased or uploaded from CDs, should suddenly become DRM protected if I download them again, regardless whether it's through Apple Music or Itunes Match.

I am in any case an Itunes Match subcriber also, so for me it isn't an issue (assuming it's a bug that some people are seeing DRM even on their Itunes Match stuff), but I don't really see the justification anyway.

If this is really intentional, Apple should make it much more clear as I fear that many people will see this as a music backup service as well as a streaming service.

Uploaded and Matched songs now have DRM after Apple Music trial.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.