Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro 2013 will not go to desktop after I type login password.

While watching the Sopranos from my iTunes account, my MacBook froze up and did not allow the use of any keyboard functions. I had to do a hard shut down. After that, I could not get to login prompt. Did some research, found a way to access Disk Utilities, performed "verify" and "repair", everything passed, good to go. Upon a restart, I was prompted to my login, typed my password, but nothing happened. I still could not get to my desktop, all I could get was the apple logo, or the circle with line across, or folder with "?" What must I do now?

MacBook Pro, 2013 model, purchased Nov 2013

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 10:31 AM

5 replies

Jul 1, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

It stays in Gray screen showing my login name and picture (in the circle) for a while, then eventually the Apple logo. the prohibitory sign has appeared before. At this point I am so confused, I left it alone this morning after I typed login password. It did not go to desktop, and it did not show status bar under my login name like normal.

Jul 1, 2015 3:20 PM in response to lobos1968

OK, let's go down the list in the article:

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup

• Disconnect, test peripheral devices and network cables

• Perform a Safe Boot

• Reset the NVRAM / PRAM

• Start from your Mac OS X Install disc; use Disk Utility

• Check your cables and power source

• Remove third-party RAM and internal hardware

• Perform an Archive and Install installation of Mac OS X

• Perform an Erase and Install installation of Mac OS X as a last resort

I assume you disconnected peripherals and that made no difference.

What happens if you attempt Safe Boot (hold down the Shift key at Startup)? Your wired keyboard must be attached to a USB directly on the chassis, not on a display or other Hub for this to work.

Safe Boot is supposed to do a Disk Utility (Repair Disk) as it starts up, so this is an easy way to get that done. It takes about five minutes, and puts up a progress bar, but it only gets about 1/3 of the way across and then puts up "Safe Mode" in red letters and demands your Username and password -- even if you normally auto-login.

My MacBook Pro 2013 will not go to desktop after I type login password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.