Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Revert to older version of iTunes.

Once again Apple has upgraded iTunes in such a way I want to take a hammer to the computer. I am too ****** off (again to list all my complaints).

How go I get the previous version of iTunes back - and dump 12.2.0.145.

Why does Apple keep breaking things that work so well?

It has destroyed more creative little features than Microsoft has written in total.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 10:33 AM

Did you make a complete backup of your computer before installing a major piece of software? If not, do a web search for downgrading iTunes. I imagine old methods still apply. Have a fun afternoon doing it. If you did make a backup, restore your computer to as it was before installing the new iTunes version.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Timothy Holt

Did you make a complete backup of your computer before installing a major piece of software? If not, do a web search for downgrading iTunes. I imagine old methods still apply. Have a fun afternoon doing it. If you did make a backup, restore your computer to as it was before installing the new iTunes version.

Jul 1, 2015 11:02 AM in response to Limnos

I have a complete time machine backup.

I also have a copy of Pacifist - because I did the same thing after they ruined iTunes in version 11.0

Apple, being what it is - doesn't like one to go backwards - how do I revert to the last version of my mac before the upgrade?

My other Mac unfortunately upgraded itself overnight.

In addition, i haven't looked at my iPhone, but I really, really, really hope it hasn't auto-updated

Jul 1, 2015 11:18 AM in response to Timothy Holt

You can turn off auto update services on things. It is the first thing I do when we get any new item. I want to review updates before they get installed, and I want them to install when I want so I can do a backup first. etc.

I don't have Time Machine so I don't know exactly how to turn back the clock, but that seems to be the point in having it. If it were my computer I would clone my backup back to the computer, albeit restoring it completely to the way it was the day before.

Reverting is not easy. There's many instructions on the web. The tricky thing is getting the old installer because Apple removes it when they bring out a new one. I download the installers and archive them when they come out so I have a copy of each version in which I have interest on an archive drive in my basement. You may find installer copies on rogue web sites. Usually Apple ferrets them out and forces them to remove them You may also wish to be leery of third party sources of installers. I don't know how easy it is to hack them to get them to install things people don't want on their computers. Apple used to keep all their old versions on their edgesuite (I think) server even though they removed the links from the iTunes page, so if you did a web search for the itunes version and included the word edgesuite it might have a link to the old file.

Revert to older version of iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.