Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it healthy for my Macbook Air to run its fan loud like this?

My macbook air has 8 Gb 1600 Mhz DDr3. I recently have been running a program that lets character models run in my background at all times. One is fine, but when I use two, it makes my macbook run loud. In the activity monitor, the program says it's using 102% cpu. Is this healthy or should I stop?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 10:36 AM

1 reply

Jul 1, 2015 12:55 PM in response to alonzofromsacramento

When you run applications that utilize a lot of CPU/GPU resources, that will create heat. The fan responds to help dissipate that heat. Based on the description that you have provided, that is what is happening.

Electronic devices do not like heat and that will eventually will be reflected in a shorter lifespan for your MBA. By exactly how much is difficult to say.

There are thermal shutdown provisions in the MBA that will shutdown the MBP before overheating can damage the unit. That should give you some sense of security.

Ciao.

Is it healthy for my Macbook Air to run its fan loud like this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.