Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Photos Automatically Reducing Size

I noticed something odd today, and can't seem to find any solution. When my larger sized photos from my DSLR are put into Apple's new Photos app, if I am to drag a copy back out and save it back to the computer, it automatically reduces the size of the photo by nearly half, reducing the quality in the process. I tested this further with smaller sized photos from my iPhone, and it doesn't do that for them. I also tested if it's anything I save to the computer by texting a large 9.6mb sized photo and then saving it to desktop, and that wasn't reduced either; it's just when I move it from the Photos app.

Any help??

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:17 AM

Drag and drop etc all just get the Preview which designed for sharing. If you use the File -> Export command you can export the original and/or edited versions in a range of qualities.

2 replies

Apple Photos Automatically Reducing Size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.