Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Notifications Pane. How do I get it back?

I am using 10.10.3 on a mid 2010 iMac. I have the following error: could not load notifications preference pane. Just upgraded to 10.10.4 and hoped it would reappear. It has not. How do I get it back?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:13 AM

11 replies

Jul 1, 2015 12:51 PM in response to Zekefromyellow springs

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Jul 1, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Zekefromyellow springs

If Old Toad & Linc Davis instructions/solutions do not work out for you, install OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 Combo Update, repair permissions & restart your computer after the installation.

TIP: You should never upgrade/update your system until all software problems are resolved in the previous OS. This is to prevent transferring problems from one OS to another.

User uploaded file

Jul 1, 2015 4:28 PM in response to Linc Davis

I didn't get the notification pane back but I did identify hidden issues. There is some crash notification being sent ever second. Here are about 2 seconds of the log.

7/1/15 18:16:22.277 storeaccountd[329]: AccountServiceDelegate: Accepting new connection <NSXPCConnection: 0x7fcb9322c650> connection from pid 1391 with interface <AccountServiceInterface: 0x7fcb9322c830> (PID 1391)

7/1/15 18:16:22.340 diagnosticd[127]: error evaluating process info - pid: 1391, punique: 1391

7/1/15 18:16:22.751 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent[1391]) Service exited due to signal: Segmentation fault: 11

7/1/15 18:16:22.751 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 1 seconds.

7/1/15 18:16:22.769 ReportCrash[1365]: Saved crash report for NotificationCenter[1391] version 1.0 (393.11) to /Users/*********/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/NotificationCenter_2015-07-01-1 81622_************-iMac.crash

7/1/15 18:16:22.778 ReportCrash[1365]: Removing excessive log: file:///Users/*********/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/NotificationCenter_2015- 07-01-181549_*********-iMac.crash

7/1/15 18:16:23.908 storeaccountd[329]: AccountServiceDelegate: Accepting new connection <NSXPCConnection: 0x7fcb9332ce90> connection from pid 1392 with interface <AccountServiceInterface: 0x7fcb9332d370> (PID 1392)

7/1/15 18:16:23.968 diagnosticd[127]: error evaluating process info - pid: 1392, punique: 1392

7/1/15 18:16:24.374 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent[1392]) Service exited due to signal: Segmentation fault: 11

7/1/15 18:16:24.374 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 1 seconds.

7/1/15 18:16:24.393 ReportCrash[1365]: Saved crash report for NotificationCenter[1392] version 1.0 (393.11) to /Users/*********/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/NotificationCenter_2015-07-01-1 81624_*********-iMac.crash

7/1/15 18:16:24.401 ReportCrash[1365]: Removing excessive log: file:///Users/*********/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/NotificationCenter_2015- 07-01-181551_*********-iMac.crash

It goes on and on. Don't know where to go to stop it. I'm thinking the Notification Pane is clogged with days of this infinite notice.

Jul 1, 2015 5:17 PM in response to Zekefromyellow springs

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION User Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down. You'll see a list of crash reports. The name of each report starts with the name of the process, and ends with ".crash". Select the most recent report related to the process in question (NotificationCenter). The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a crash, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report—they're very long and rarely helpful.

When you post the log extract or the crash report, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Jul 2, 2015 6:26 AM in response to Linc Davis

OK. Found the right stuff and created a pastbin.

DxiMacNotificationCrash

This has been going of since 6/14/15. I had a HDD crash that Apple replaced. With some difficulty I was able to resurrect my TimeMachine and get back into business. So, I'm thinking some of this points to some relational problem. I also noted Security and Privacy preferences in System Preferences won't open. But one thing at a time.

Jul 8, 2015 7:40 PM in response to Zekefromyellow springs

This procedure will revert your settings in the Notifications preference pane to the defaults.

Back up all data before continuing.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Application Support/NotificationCenter

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open. Inside it are one or more files with long names. Move the files to the Trash. Log out or restart the computer and empty the Trash. Recreate the settings.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Lost Notifications Pane. How do I get it back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.